Black inside Brussels Sprouts

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Terry, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Terry

Terry New Seed

I tried Brussels Sprouts for the first time this summer. They have developed beautiful stalks with sprouts 3/4" to 1" in diameter. I picked some last week. There was some bug damage to the outside leaves of most of the sprouts but not to worry, just peel off a few leaves, right? Nearly all of the sprouts had black matter of some kind under the leaves and far into the interior. I ended up composting the entire bunch. Does anyone recognize this? How do I grow clean Brussels Sprouts without chemicals and poisons? I am in the upper Willamette Valley of Oregon.

Thanks for any help y'all.

Terry

2. Loading...

3. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

The black stuff is insect 'detritus' in all probability. They get onto the sprouts as they form and leave their droppings and the sprout forms round them. Not easy to deal with. We spray our sprouts with a jet of water (no insecticide or anything) at the first signs of any aphid on the developing sprouts. The jet needs to be strong enough to wash them off without damaging the plants. Best I can suggest really. Has been suggested that one uses liquid soap, but I am not keen on spraying that on my food either.

4. Terry

Terry New Seed

Thanks! What did our grandparents do? --Just eat the "ditritus"? I like the idea of organic gardening but I become a subsistance gardener--all my time goes into "food gathering". Do you check for aphids everyday?

Terry

5. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Also applies to any caterpillars which need to be hand picked off. We check about once a week for aphids.

Advertisement
  6. Terry

Terry New Seed

Thanks for the help. I'll be more observant next year. Terry

7. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Best of luck with them. We are lucky in that we are surrounded by fields of Oil seed Rape and Brassica aphids go for them rather than ours (usually). You may need to check more often if you are in an area where there are lots of aphids and Cabbage white butterflies etc.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Not sure it would help with aphids but you might try mosquito netting. Just cut to size and tie with a twist tie at bottom. It can`t hurt to try. Regular hosing should keep them to a minimum while growing.