Black Spots On Roses......

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Richie Cooper, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Hello Everyone, hope you are all enjoying your summer.
    OK, I've got black spots on my roses or should I say what is left of my roses. It has destroyed the rose bushes! This has been happening all summer long, now one bush is totally dead!
    I have removed every leaf that has the spots on them, watered the bushes only at the base of the bush and not over the leaves. I have mixed up 32oz of water with a tablespoon of baking soda and a few drops of liquid dish washing soap and sprayed the leaves every other day or when I see that the white haze from the baking soda is no longer present. My 3 remaining bushes are TOTALLY bare of any leaves and when leaves do grow they have black spots on them. The bushes themselves are about 4-5 foot apart. I removed any and all leaves from the area, put them in a plastic bag and into the big garbage can. Is there anything I can do to save the last 3 bushes? Thank you for any help.

2. Loading...

3. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

4. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Gardengirl,
    Thank you very much for the great information. I am going to leave the rose bushes alone for this year. Everyone I talk with tells me that the bushes are not dead and will come back again next year.
    I think I am going to try a Fungicide like the article mentioned. I have tried all the home remedies and nothing has worked. So, thanks again. :-D

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Yes, the plant will live. Just keep it watered and maybe treat it if anymore leaves come on the plant. Go get rose spray for back spot. Cut it back in the fall and it will be fine next Spring but spray it next year.

Advertisement
  6. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

waretrop,
    Thanks, I will cut the bushes back in the fall. The bushes do get some new leaves once in a while, but they bloom with the black spots already on them!
    I will get a jump on them next spring. In the beginning of this season I got some real beautiful roses from them. We had fresh cut roses in our house for about 2-3 weeks and then the spots appeared and down hill from there.
    Thanks again. have a great week. :)

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Then next year we expect to see some beautiful roses in your photo section here. Don't for the whole garden, too. We love that.