Blending the flocks

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by marlingardener, Jul 18, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Today was the big day for the chicklets to become part of the big girl flock. It was something of an anti-climax--neither group seemed particularly interested in the other.
    Decisions, decisions.jpg
    After a few minutes the chicklets decided an opportunity to mix and mingle was too good to be missed, and everyone got together.
    Introductions.jpg
    Getting them all in tonight will be a real treat!

Philip Nulty and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Tooty2shoes
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@marlingardener - Wow you're lucky you have such mellow ladies. I do not have any ladies right now but for quite a few years I had "urban" chickens which meant 3. I used to name them after movie stars and famous people ;) but no way could I have introduced a new lady into the existing trio. Martha Stewart literally ruled the roost and made life terrible for Princess Diana while Marilyn Monroe watched.

The next set of three ladies - Dolly Parton, Carol Burnett and Lucille Ball were Red Star and did live up to their name of producing one egg per day starting a 14 weeks until 2 yrs later when they were retired to a girl friend who had a small ranch.

I love the ladies, there is nothing like fresh eggs and their antics ever amusing. I have an area here in mind where I could put a coop the only drawback is a chain link fence separating my yard to the neighbours who have 2 large dogs who are pretty hyper.

City bylaw here would allow me 4 ladies but the positioning of the coop is the issue as I know the two dogs next door would constantly charge the fence and run up and down and up and down. I watch them do it with the dog who lives on the other side of them.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm so glad the chicklets have settled in so well with the ladies Jane. -

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Islandlife, yes my ladies are mellow--Australorps are known as gentle hens that lay a lot of big brown eggs! It is the only breed we've had and we are entirely satisfied with them. They are so entertaining with their antics, also!
    Could you put up a fence that would screen your hens from the hyper dogs next door? If the dogs can't see them, they might not be interested, and just bother the dog on the other side.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I've got IVY growing up the fence as a barrier and once it fully covers I'm then thinking of trying angle the coop so the back of it goes to the fence yet would allow a small walking path. Overall my chicken coop is really a next year project but I'm thinking and preparing now.

My neighbours are great BUT they've rescued a dog that looks like a cross between a boxer, long legged hound or doberman and it is SUPER HYPER and NOT friendly. It is big and while they really do keep it nailed down (never loose) even standing out front talking to the neighbor it was on a chain standing beside him. Thankfully it couldn't reach my hand and I did jerk back but it suddenly just snapped at me. All it caught was air but GEEZ! And right in front of the owner too. He is NOT Cesar (the dog guy) so he didn't anticipate his dog would do that nor did he really correct it after it snapped at me either. He apologized for it being young and nervous. It just BURSTS out of the house into the backyard and will charge up and down and bark at anything and just keep going and going. Anyway - I know that that dog will be problematic about what I'm doing in my backyard. It also agitates the older smaller dog that looks like a Boston Terrier but then there are TWO dogs charging about ;)

I never had your variety of chicken. Martha Steward was a Rhode Island Red and pretty hyper. The Red Stars were also more to the hyper side as well.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Islandlife, there is a wonderful website that describes the personality (yes, chickens have personalities!), laying habits, heat/cold requirements, and characteristics of the different breeds.
    http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf
    We chose Australorps because they can withstand the Texas heat and are docile. I've heard great things about Buff Orpingtons from other chicken owners. If we didn't have the Aussies, we'd probably go with the Orpingtons.
    With that hyper dog next door, a solid fence or anything that would block the sight of your hens from that dog is probably really necessary.
    Your neighbor might think about taking that dog to a training school--get it socialized, under control, and obedient. Better for the dog, better for your neighbor, and much better for you!
    We had large (75 lb.) rescue dogs, and trained them to be loving, sweet, and slightly goofy pets. It can be done!

8. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Will have a look see at the chicken breed comparison URL. Be interesting but here on the Island sometimes beggars can't be choosers. All depends on what the truck brings over on the Ferry.

I'm sure I'm going to need a solid wall between me and the neighbor. They're very well meaning and nice people but I can tell this dog could give them grief. Mostly they don't seem to be able to anticipate what it might do. Soon as it bit at my hand (and missed!) I've learned real quick to watch it and you can see that it is defensive aggressive and yes young BUT if they don't increase the socialization fast it could turn into a problem.

My last coop for 3 ladies was an 8' x 12' x 6' high chain link dog run. It was fully roofed and up in a treed area. I had perches and toys and all manner of things for them plus I could let them out daily to wander about a huge greenbelt area. Had them totally trained to come when I rattled a metal pot so I could re-call them in a heart beat (for favourite TREATS!) if I thought a problem would start.

And - yes - Personalities! :) They're more than cute with their antics :) :) :)

Philip Nulty and marlingardener like this.