Blossom Time.

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Sydney Smith, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Apple and Pear Trees just coming into bloom. Second pic is a nice pink Prunus Amanagowa DSC_0022.JPG DSC_0025-001.JPG

Henry Johnson and Gardengirl like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My fruit trees are beginning to bloom too and the bees are loving them. I'm hoping for a bumper crop in the autumn from them.

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Very beautiful. I don't have any large trees blooming yet except the red buds. I am looking forward t when they do bloom..

5. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen, Barb,all. I love this time of year - everything getting going again after winter, all the old friends c0ming back. Have six trees on that plot five of which bloom nicely. Have attached a pic here of a Cherry in flower across the way- superb. Syd. DSC_0032.JPG

Advertisement
  6. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Love blooming trees. They are so pretty.

7. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0011.JPG Heres a Choisya in bloom and a Viburnum tomentosum plicatum with masses of buds which will be flowering soon. Third is a Sobaria - lovely new red, light and also darker green foliage - very Sorbus like and white flowers - a shrub but suckers wildly - this one is in a container.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  8. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

WOW what beautiful blooms Sydney, the cherry is amazing.

9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

IMG_8652.jpg IMG_8674-001.jpg IMG_8673.jpg IMG_8654.jpg IMG_8675.jpg IMG_8668.jpg

Hi G-gl. Everywhere here now looking very nice with more and more blossom all the time - I bet Herts is looking really good. A few more trees on my own plot - the yellow is a self sown wild Gorse bush which I allowed to do its thing since that part of the plot is semi wild. No doubt you will be hard at it the garden this weekend - enjoy. Syd.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015
    Gardengirl and Henry Johnson like this.
  10. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Lovely blossoms Sydney, yes Herts is looking good at the moment with the blossoms and also the rape fields providing loads of yellow splashes on the landscape. A lovely time of year. I hope to get out in the garden this weekend as I have not been able to over the past few weeks due to contracting a nasty virus that has been doing the rounds. Here's hoping the weather stays kind tomorrow.

11. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi again G-gl. So sorry to hear of the virus but for sure there is from time to time here some nasty ones get about and having caught them its a real job to shake them off - I hope you are soon fit and well again . May I ask for interest have you a large plot and what are your main preferences as to plant types you like to grow. Herts is a nice County and I can picture those yellow fields - interesting though how that plant gets about and how much of it can be seen escaped to the roadsides. Syd.

12. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Hi Syd - I have quite a large front garden with acid soil in places so have some lovely camellias, rhododendrons, ericas etc. I grow a variety of plants, some of which I grow from seed collected from previous years (always like a freebie:)) I love lilies but have to watch out for the little red devils! Also alium, roses, lavender, hydrangea plus many bedding plants, I could go on......I also have a ballerina apple tree which has been glorious in in blossom but not so good this year, maybe it is coming to the end of its life, don't know how long this type last. I live near the South Mimms Roundabout and its amazing how much of the rape has self seeded from the nearby fields. Also in my front garden I have a couple of lovely hawthorn trees and a beautiful laburnum.

13. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi G-gl. It all sounds great and all very much in the old cottage garden and plants style which I love - have you read Margery Fish's books - from the description of your growing likes I think you would love them. I guess your garden is not laid out rigidly but planted in a nice "that will tuck in there nicely" fashion. For years I collected cottage garden plants and like yourself always aimed at as much of a variety as possible - still do. Love also to read of their histories, popular names and the little fables surrounding them.
    Your having the acid areas is a real bonus and good that you take advantage of it. Ref the lilies the little red beetles are a complete menace and apart from a few odds and ends growing in containers now I gave up on them - did have some nice candidums, martagons, pyrenaicums, regales plus a few named varieties - I do miss them.
    Must not keep on but nice to natter and hope to continue. Hope you are now well. Syd.

Last edited: May 3, 2015