Blueberries, need advice. Best variety, how big?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Donna S, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I'm thinking I want to plant blueberries this spring. Any and all advice will be appreciated. What is the best veriety to buy and how big should they be when I buy? Seed catalogs show to many.

2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Buy as large and as young of plants you can afford. Buying old plants that have been dug from old blueberry fields is not a good idea. (Just like trying to move a good sized fruit tree...they are so set back it takes even longer for them to bear fruit)

High bush blueberries are what I grow. Think of them as mini fruit trees. When digging near my blue berry bushes I was surprised how big and extensive their root system was. Cutting one of those roots on a good sized bush can really set it back.

The last two years I have gotten some really nice plants from HD, not the little plastic bagged things but locally grown potted plants. See if your local big box store has some nice plants hidden off to the side. For some reason they are never easy to find, but off in a corner at my store.

Good luck finding some great plants. Last year I froze 8 gallons of blueberries, gave away a few gallons. Everything I froze is long gone. Hopefully the four newer plants will start producing this year. It is pretty hard to have too many blueberry bushes. Finding time to pick them all is another story. image.jpg

4. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Thanks Jewell. Sounds like some good advice. And 8 gallons + wow!