Brown living room - help!

Discussion in 'Choosing Colors' started by kpengler, Jan 5, 2009.

1. kpengler

kpengler New Seed

ok, my sofa is chocolate brown, walls are beige(golden beige), rugs are light brown. I have chocolate brown curtains with light blue and green in them. They match the sofa perfect. Sofa has pillows with light blue, gold, brown.

Is it too much brown? Should I get a different color curtain? Like a golden curtain or a light blue to bring out the blue in the pillows? [​IMG][/img]

2. Loading...

3. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

I vote for blue curtains, break up the browns more, make it more cheerful..

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Without actually seeing photographs of the room then I'd go along with Susie and say change the curtains to blue. You could also introduce more blue with simple things like vases. ornaments or wall hangings too.

5. kpengler

kpengler New Seed

thanks - here's a pic

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Nice!! :) Blue curtains would definately lighten the room up and maybe a few all blue cushions too. You could also try putting a pale coloured rug on the floor (maybe a sheepskin one) as it would help to break up the expanse of carpet. Lastly you could put a blue bulb in your standard lamp which would give the room a softer feel. Do keep us updated with what you decide and I'd love to see another piccie of the completed room. :-D

7. Fern

Fern New Seed

Hi, I would use curtains the same colour as the walls, and use wider curtain rails to let more light in, Cream Rug, More cushions Too. Then you can add colour with acessories..

8. cezz

cezz New Seed

How about white curtain with brown designs? It will be great I think! I've seen that kind of curtain and it's lovely..

9. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Blue curtains would be fine if the material is not too thick. And if possible re-arrange your room as not to cover the windows. That will help open the space as well as give you more light. If it was me, I would throw in a couple of red throw pillows and get rid of the gold ones.Just my personal preference.

10. Gordanfreeman

Gordanfreeman New Seed

Although I'm not a big fan of the color blue, I do think a country blue would go very well with the warm tones of the brown. You could even add an accent of orange to give the room a bit of color. The blue drapes would give you a sense of light without the worry of the white getting to look dingy or dirty in a few weeks. You really want to add a soft color to this to give it some life and with the bold accent of the orange it would bring in the added warmth the room may need.
    I have burgundy and gold drapes in my parlor and an antique love seat covered in a blue velvet brocade. I used all my Grandmother's needlepoint which I made into pillows. The Queen Anne side chair is burgundy and gold with a small blue brocade pillow. The tiny footstool is a copy of a French Provence antique and I covered it in burgundy brocade and added gold tassels.

11. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Maybe try a pop of blue?

How about printed drapes in brown and blue, then new throw pillows in blue? for a punch of blue and to break up all the solid browns, found these online
    [​IMG][​IMG]

website where these are:http://www.americanblinds.com/

12. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Throw some hot red pillows on the couch ..
    Mix colors of blue curtains.

I have beige couch and love lace curtains all over.
    However yours are very dark brown.

13. colourmegrae

colourmegrae Seedling

I like the idea of blue curtains. My living room is decorated with brown furniture as well, but I spruce it up a bit with blue vases and whatnot. :stew2:

14. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Why not show us the room?
    I'd love to see whatnot>

:-D

15. kpengler

kpengler New Seed

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I did go with blue curtains. and added blue pillows. First I had blue curtains from Target with brown in them. http://www.target.com/Home-Contessa-Emb ... rh=&page=1
    But they looked alittle too teal for my taste. So I later found blue silk curtains from Bed&Bath that I liked better. More of a smokey blue. I'll have to post a pic because now everyone is saying they liked the blue ones from Target better. arrguhh!