Bulbs with little white roots and 2" blades

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Tina, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

This is what I found while working in my yard yesterday:
    I was removing the weeds and up came about 10-12 bulbs with new growing blades.They are so pretty.The bulbs have some white roots coming out.They are only about an inch long and the blades are about 2".I wish I could post pictures.I uprooted the bulbs, cleared the yard, dug up an area and replanted them.I hope I have not done something that will harm these little ones.I figured if they have survived the winter without care, then they should be fine.Do you think it will be a better idea to plant them in pots indoors?We are expecting more cold weather and of course rain here in Seattle.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Tina.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. David M
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Tina
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your bulbs could be miniature daffodils or narcissi but it's hard to tell at this stage. They should be fine if you replant them Tina - as you say they've survived the winter. I wouldn't plant them indoors after them being acclimatized to outdoors though as they could get leggy and bolt inside. Best find a little patch for them that's sheltered and see how they do.

4. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

they look like mini daffs to me, should be a great surprise when they bloom. It doesn't sound like we'll get anything cold enough to harm them, but if you mound up a little straw over them after you replant and soak them that would be good insurance.