Burnt my new sod lawn with fertilizer...How to re-seed...???

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by oldave, Mar 15, 2010.

1. oldave

oldave New Seed

Last summer/fall I made a mistake and put a whole bag of lawn fertilizer on my newly planted sod lawn because it looked "Patchy" and looked like it needed some fertilizer...
    Well...I "Mis-Read" the instructions on the bag (I`m a little visually Impaired)... and put far far too much on the lawn...
    It burned the heck right out of the lawn, so I kept watering and watering it (As advised on another forum) to wash out as much of the fertilizer as I could.
    In the later Fall, I bought some "Patch Grass" as seen on TV, to see if this would help to re-seed the lawn and somehow repair it... No Luck...!!!
    The lawn looks somewhat "greener" this early spring, but looks like it needs some very good type of Grass Seed to even it out...
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of Grass Seed I should get now...??? Or anything else I should do...???
    It is a very small lawn in front of my house...23`X12`,but I would very much like to repair this stupid mistake...
    Thanks for any help you can give me...
    oldave...

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. margie12u
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. WholyRoly
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there Dave. :-D

Here's one tip though that I got from an old gardener I used to know.

Add sugar. This sounds odd but he said it can sometimes work. The sugar protects the microbes that are necessary for a lawn to stay healthy. Spread approximately 1 pound of sugar to every 300 square feet of lawn area.

I've never actually tried this myself so can't tell if it is a solution for you or not.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to remove all the burnt turf and re-seed. The seeds and new grass shouldn't be affected by any remaining fertilizer. Good luck!!

4. oldave

oldave New Seed

Thanks Eileen...I`ll give the sugar a try and plant some good grass seed...
    oldave...

5. fencesllove

fencesllove Seedling

I agree that sugar protects the microbes that are necessary for a lawn to stay healthy.