Butterfly Habitat

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by waretrop, Aug 1, 2016.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I am going to make a screen room butterfly habitat starting in the spring. I will be putting it in or next to my smaller veggie garden because it is more in the sun.It will have all the local butterfly host and nectar plants. It will have a circle walkway so that there will be a center planting and also around the entire edge also. It may be 12 ft by 12 ft.It will have metal framing with netting sides. I will also have a puddling area in the ground with gravel in it. I have a list of both kind of plants that will be in there and will add some part of the life cycle of each kind of critter as it is safe to do so.

It's been fun to find the plants these last few weeks. They will be planted by fall.

purple bug bane.jpg
    Purple Bug Bane

purple bug bane2.jpg
    Clethra ruby spice

purple bug bane1.jpg
    Purple Vitex Tree

Not sure if these names are correct as I can't get out to see the names or plants at the moment. I just love these. I have many many common plants ready to plant in this little area. I have many swamp milk weed plants and native milk weed plants but have not seen one Monarch this year...

I realize it will take a few years to really get rolling but you have to start somewhere.

Sjoerd, Frank and eileen like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Have you identified the butterflies common in your area so you can get plants that are the caterpillar hosts? My most active plant is the Passionflower vine, the only one that Gulf Fritillary butterflies lay eggs on and boy do they cover it each year.
    My Fennel plant had 15 Swallowtail caterpillars on it last month and I have been seeing several of the butterflies out there for a while now.

4. waretrop

Thank you. I have a list made that is growing allot. Of course, all of mine will be released in fall when I do get it well established. AND of course, my hubby will get it all ready this fall.

5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Our butterfly numbers are way down around here....and if you do see them they are moving so fast like they are on steroids. I have had 1 Monarch so far...I think we are seeing the results of chemical use...just not sure but we definitely have less bees and butterflies every year. I remember 1 year we had so many Red Admirals...it was so beautiful to just watch all of the movement in the garden...

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

I agree Sherry. That's why I want to do this screened in area. That way I can make sure they are safe and make as many of their kind as they can in each season. Then they will be released. It will take a few years to get into the full swing of it.

I have thought about doing this for about a year but this summer, I made it official, since I have not seen one Monarch this year.

7. toni

I would have hundreds of butterflies if it wasn't for the wasps. They eat the caterpillars before they get to the pupating stage.

waretrop likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well Ware---this really is something!
    Your plans sound terrific. I shall be watching with acute interest for the developing foto's and text.
    Chapeau to you for this worthy effort. Good luck.

waretrop likes this.
  9. waretrop

toni, I just went out and looked at my milkweed and found not one monarch egg to chrysales. I plan on bring in native eggs of whatever is around and let them reporduce in my house, protecting it until it finishes it's cycle. Right now I am collecting nectar plants and host plants..

10. toni

Do you get to see Monarchs all summer in your area?
    I only see them once every few years when they migrate in Fall and early Spring and that is only IF we are on the migration path they take that year. I have milkweed but have never had Monarchs on them and since they do not summer here my only chance to have their caterpillars on my plants is during their migration.

11. waretrop

No toni. I haven't seen Monarchs in years. No eggs, no nothing. I have seen lots of Fritillary this year BUT as you know I haven't spent much time outside this summer...LOL My goal is to help get more of the 30 something to be around here. I will start slowly....

12. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I just started seeing swallowtails...I am keeping my fingers crossed that the Monarchs come. We used to have Monarchs all summer and I think because of one of the big storms in the spring the numbers are down. There is a group that can help you raise butterflys if you are interested, it is on facebook.