Can anyone ID a bee or is it another kind of insect???

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Jewell, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Yesterday in the garden I noticed this crazy bee type insect. It had staked out two patches of lamb's ears and was not allowing any other insects in them. You could hear the click of insect bodies hitting as it would chase off the other types of bees (several other unknowns and the honey and bumble). I wondered if anyone might have an idea of what type of insect it might be. Definitely was into the nectar also.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Interesting behaving bee/fly ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

This was the only nectar sipper that came around and stayed for a short time. I wasn't sure if they were mating or being chased off also. I noticed the same behavior from a similar insect on the patch of lamb's ears in the vegie area too.

[​IMG]

Here are a few flowers. Some because I like them and some because the hum of insects around them was just too over-powering not to take notice.

[​IMG]
    daylily ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    fragrant peach daylily ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My most recent favorite flowers-bees love them ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

Frank, Droopy and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sherry8
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Hi Jewell, I don't know what specific nectar sipper you have there, but I would call it a bee...
    Just had to mention how stunning your flowers are! No wonder the bee wants them all to himself ;)

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Jewell, your insect may be a Faithful Leafcutting Bee. They feed on flowers. Females cut leaf fragments and line cells in rotted wood, then fill the cells with nectar and pollen and lay an egg.
    Leafcutters are harmless since they don't strip a plant of its leaves.
    Those are lovely flower photos, also!

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Awesome set of photos Jewell! I love the second one of the bee. Looks like he's "riding" that lambs ear and holding on for dear life! :D
    And all of the photos are gorgeouse... but I'm drooling over the peach daylily!

Advertisement
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Jewell,
    lovely pictures,..very strange antics from your Bee,..i had to study it just to be sure it was a Bee after my experience of the "Mock Bee",..but yours is certainly a Bee,..maybe high on nectar, :rolleyes: .

I seem to have a thing of late for Orange Coloured flowers,..so your Orange Day Lily caught my eye,..beautiful flower,..the Peach one is very eye catching as well,..seeing your Daisies,..i am reminded again that must get some,..i have no white flowers.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Jewell your photographs are fantastic!! We have some honey bees here that won't allow other species to get near to the pollen bearing flowers. Maybe your bee is one of those or, as previously mentioned, a leaf cutter? Either way it's not a mimic but a true bee.

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I don't know the bee type but I think it's a very smart bee to want to keep the goodies for itself. :D Your blooms are lovely. I like them all, but I think I like the bottom one best.

9. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

marlingardener and eileen, maybe the critter is a leaf-cutter. I really can't tell from the photos online. The behavior was really pronounced the one hot afternoon I was out in the garden and couldn't help but notice.

Cherylad, you can PM me if you want some of that day lily. Some has gotten onto the patio and needs to be removed. It is trying to come up under a glass table and is just too big. They are fragrant, but not as much so this year as usual.

So you are probably right Philip about the bees condition. Too bad I can't send seed Philip. These daisies are now more than five feet tall. It has been so crazy cool and wet that the daisies and the foxglove have had some giants.

And Kay I think he is just a little greedy, but the lambs ears have always been one of my favorites too. It was one of my first plants as a kid.

Droppy your favorite is a new plant to me this year and I can't wait to spread seed into a few other beds. Both me and the bees like it.

Though not a very clear photo I thought this one captured the feeling of the bees/insects the other day when the warmth and sun came together.

[​IMG]
    anticipation - tongue is already out and ready to sip ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )