Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my roses.

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by webbing, Aug 7, 2013.

1. webbing

webbing New Seed

These roses did real well last year but they haven't bloomed this year and they still have no buds. BTW this is Albuquerque NM. Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from webbing's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Maybe it's Albuquerque Blight....Mine is black out this a way, I think. :p

Now I have to come back and get serious. When I don't get flowers and leaves look funny I get a rose spray or rose dust and see if that helps. Water the ground without splashing upward.

4. webbing

webbing New Seed

Are you saying not to water the leaves, could that be it? This summer I added a sprinkler head that arcs over the top of the roses to water them.

5. waretrop

Well, I don't know how strong the sun is there but someone will add that info. I was just saying wet can cause fungi and things if it doesn't dry out fast enough also lots of things come from the ground when water splashes up on the leaves. So since this plant is in question I wouldn't intentionally splash up on the leaves.

Advertisement
  6. webbing

webbing New Seed

It's Albuquerque so we have plenty of sun. The water doesn't splash on the leaves, it arcs over the top of them. I do water early morning a 6:00 am, should I move the watering to a little later?

7. waretrop

Wish someone else would help here.

Did it have those white spots the leaves last year???

8. webbing

webbing New Seed

No, that's why I'm concerned but just have no clue what if anything I need to do.

9. waretrop

Well, unless someone else thinks of something different I'd do the spray or dust and if leaves fall pick them up and throw them in the garbage or burn them. Oh no, bet you can't burn, right???

Silly me.

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Are those white spots or parts of leaves that have been eaten? I've had a horrible year for Japanese Beetles this year, maybe you have some too?
    As for no blooms ... have you given then any fertilizer or compost this year? Are they getting enough sun? I ALWAYS water my Roses from underneath, right at the roots. I have a little 'saucer' built around the bottom of each rose to direct the water to the roots and never wet the leaves. Roses are so finicky and wet foliage can cause all kinds of mold/fungal problems.

11. waretrop

When I saw Netty posted here I was so happy. Couldn't open it up fast enough in hopes that you get the correct answer.

Thanks Netty. Hope this helps webbing. You need fertilizer and rose spray for roses. Do it quickly and you should see results right away.

Please keep us posted as your little plant improves.

12. webbing

webbing New Seed

Hi Netty, they are white spots. There are also some dark spots and some areas near the edge of some leafs that look burnt.

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We are in Central Texas, so I understand your climate a bit.
    First thing I thought of after seeing your photo is leaf burn. Even though the sprinkler head arcs over the roses to water them, the leaves still get droplets, and when the sun hits the drops (and this time of year the sun is up and strong by 6:30 a.m.) the drops act as a prism, burning the leaves. I'd get rid of the sprinkler head and water as Netty suggested, at the bottom of each bush and keeping the leaves dry.
    A balanced fertilizer wouldn't hurt--and a mulch around the roses to keep the soil moist and cooler would help.
    If you decide to use an insecticide/fungicide, put a stem with the affected leaves in a sealed plastic bag and take it to a nursery (not big box, they just aren't capable of handling this kind of question) and see what the nurseryman/woman recommends. Because we keep bees I don't use anything like rose dust, so I can't recommend a brand or type.

14. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

That's what I thought when I saw the pic too, hot sun hitting drops of water on the leaves. If it's really low to the ground, and you have a male dog, might be where he marked his spot a little while back. From the pic, I can't tell if the leaves in question are a few inches or a few feet up.

15. webbing

webbing New Seed

The effected leaves are from a foot or so off the ground all the way up to the top of the roses maybe 4 1/2 to 5 feet off the ground. The water droplets thing makes sense to me since I didn't use a sprinkler last year and didn't have this then. Maybe I'll look into some kind of irrigation system. I did rose food in the spring but I haven't done anything but water since (with the sprinkler).

16. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

A soaker hose might be an in-between solution. If you water early enough in the morning that stuff has time to dry before the sun gets intense, 'they' say that should help, but you're still getting those spots (if that's what it is.) Maybe the sun at 6 am is that intense in NM, sounds likely. Watering in the evening isn't recommended since being wet all night is a great way to germinate bacteria/fungus spores. That might not be an such an issue in a desert climate, IDK.