Can you grow sweet potatoes from a cutting?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Georgia Girl Beth, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Georgia Girl Beth

Georgia Girl Beth Seedling

My son loves sweet potatoes, but that is the only vegetable I can get him to willingly eat! I was wondering if I could grow some from a piece cut off the end or would I need to have a whole sweet potato? I remember my mom putting potatoes in a jar on the window sill and roots growing from them when I was a kid. I love reading about everyone's gardens so much and I wish I lived in a place with more land so that I could grow one myself! Until then, I guess I will live vicariously through you stewbies' gardens! :stew2:

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

As long as the piece you cut off has at least one eye it will be fine. Two or more would be better.

4. Georgia Girl Beth

Georgia Girl Beth Seedling

Do you put them into water until they start to grow and then plant them in soil? Should I wait to do that in the spring?

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Sweets are generally planted late May or June here and harvested September or October. July is not too late for them. They do require a fairly long growing period. !! They say that after you dig them and lay them out to cure (that takes a week or two of cool temps) a light frost makes them sweeter. Easiest way to grow them is to find an organic one and lay it sideways in a pot and lightly cover it with soil and water it. In about two weeks you will see shoots showing,, let them grow to about 8 inches tall then break away the ones you want from the potato and plant them. They are called slips. then just keep them lightly moist and let them grow. You will start the potato for your slips about 30 days before you want to plant them. They grow fairly fast but do spread out a bit so you need some space. Or grow them in a large container.

Advertisement
  6. Caveman

Caveman New Seed

Hi Beth, I have a little earthworm farm, and I throw all my cuttings from the kitchen in there for them to digest and that makes nice compost for my plants, and seeds. I threw some sweet potato cuttings in there a while ago, and surprisingly they started to develop roots, looks very similar to normal potatoes that start sprouting. I now took them out, and planted the sprouting sweet potato cuttings into my garden, hoping that they will grow even further, and they seem to be coming along quite well. Is there a way I can post a photo to this thread? I am still new to this forum :) I hope my findings will give you success.

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Sure you can add a pic. Just go to reply and look above where it says insert/upload photo click on that and browse for the one you want, click upload, then you will title it if you want then continue to next frame. There just click on the pic to post.

You can do either way, slips or cuttings, both are fine.

8. Caveman

Caveman New Seed

Ah I see now, I have only made use of the quick reply ^^ Thanks for pointing it out Mart. I will take a pic of one of my growing sweet potato cuttings and post it tomorrow :)

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Its very easy,,just don`t forget to click on the pic last to insert it into your post. I forget that step sometimes and have to do it over.

10. Caveman

Caveman New Seed

Here is a photo from one of my sweet potato cuttings that I just planted in a random spot in my garden, and it seems to be getting along well. When I planted it, it has only a few little roots, and now it even has leafs. I will see if it produces, but I'm sure it will :)

[​IMG]
    Sweet potato cutting ( photo / image / picture from Caveman's Garden )

Georgia Girl Beth likes this.
  11. mart

mart Strong Ash

Nice little potato slip. Don`t worry, if conditions are right it will produce sweet potatoes.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Say GGB-- Why don't you apply for a community garden in your city?

http://www.savannahga.gov/index.aspx?NID=1209

Community plots are typically smallish, but it would be a great place for you to start. You might meet some interesting folks there as well.

Georgia Girl Beth likes this.