Can you remember your first attempts at flower gardening?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by sewNsow, Feb 10, 2013.

1. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Can you remember your first attempts at flower gardening?
    I can.It was almost 50 years ago.I knew nothing about growing anything outside.I made a flower bed out front.I had Cleome for the background row. Then I had these huge red zinnias.Other ones were marigolds. Can't remember if I had anything else.
    What stands out most in my memory was the size of those zinnias.I've grown red zinnias almost every year but now grow some rose ones called Uproar.
    sNs

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

Liqui Green, Zoey and Jewell like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

When I was about 5 yrs old I grabbed a lizard by the tail, it came off so I dug a hole in the ground and planted it thinking it would grow another lizard. Didn't happen.

But my first flower gardening experience was 55 years ago when I was 11. I saw some Daffodils in someone's yard and asked my Mom to help me find some to plant. If I remember right, she asked the neighbor if she had extra and that fall the neighbor gave me some bulbs. I planted them under my bedroom window where they came up for several Springs after that.... then I discovered boys and lost interest in gardening for several years.

Logan and Jewell like this.
  4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I must have been either a freshman of sophomore in high school. I tried growing some morning glories. Planted them and lost interest when they didn't sprout right away.

Jewell likes this.
  5. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I always helped Mom plant annuals, and worked in the veggie garden alongside my Dad, then my first "gardening" was developing an interest in houseplants.
    As an adult, living in Colorado, I attempted a row of roses along the front of our little home. The goats that lived next door ate every one of them down to the ground within a week!

Jewell likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Vaughn James

Vaughn James New Seed

I am doing this when I am only 9 years old. My mother loves gardening. I addicted this from her and now I love this. :)

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

When I was about 5 or 6 I wanted my own garden. So my dad created an area out by the woods. It was about 2 foot square. He did most of it all I did was watched. I don't remember if anything ever grew but that is the exact same place that the horseradish grew for some 30 years. My dad loved it. :D

For years after that I would take people back there and made sure they knew that it was the place I had my own garden one year.

Jewell likes this.
  8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I was always helping my Mom in our veggie patch as a child. I don't remember if I actually PLANTED anything, but I remember watering and harvesting. I think my first actual attempt at gardening was when I was 19 and out on my own. I had a few hanging baskets of Petunia's and a couple of pots with Tomato plants.

Jewell likes this.
  9. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I've been playing in the mud for ever. I remember growing morning glories that covered the meter box and the meter reader cutting them down. I cried and wanted to kick him.

Jewell likes this.
  10. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Ever since those marigold and bean sprouts from kindergarten, I've been hooked! Plant the seeds of seed planting young!

The first thing besides house plants that I really did on my own was in my first place of my own in '85. I got a stack of 3" pots that fit right in the gaps at the top of the fence around the back patio and put a red Geranium (Pelargonium) in each one. With only about 3 hours of direct sun, they were doomed to fail, and I managed to drown every one, even in those tiny pots, within a month. Hilarious!

Jewell likes this.
  11. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Wow! I'm enjoying your replies.
    I started to love flowers when I was little. Mom didn't have flowers yet & I would go to the neighbors & she would make bouquets for me.
    I lived in a city apartment when I was first married.I remember my very first houseplant. It was a wax begonia & I planted it in a green McCoy pot.Then we got our first house & it had grand windows for plants.I began collecting houseplants.I got every houseplant book from the library.I think I kind of let the houseplants slide when I had my child.When she was 2 we moved out here to the country in Aug & the next spring I had that first garden.
    sNs

Jewell likes this.
  12. mattdew

mattdew New Seed

Yes, I guess in school time I did it on school project.

Jewell likes this.
  13. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

There was a thread sometime back about what got people into gardening and I am sure I posted a reply on that about how I got started. Cannot remember what the thread was called though.

Jewell likes this.
  14. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I can remember my Grandfather saying"you have been busy" had planted hollyhocks all over.They use to call them Outhouse Weeds.So when someone pulled in could find it fast-they plant in back of OH.

Jewell likes this.
  15. jennifer.f

jennifer.f New Seed

yes i remmember that day when i see some flowers are dead in my garding then something come in my mind and they are also a living things why i have to take care of them then for that day now onwards i proassionaly start gardinnig and take cre of my flowers as my children

Jewell likes this.
  16. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Hi Jennifer & welcome to the Stew.Hope you won't be a stranger & will tell us about your flowers.

sewNsow