Canada Geese...

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Sherry8, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

August 9, 2017 180 (2).jpg These birds can sure make a mess over your lawn or vehicle....they seem to travel in large numbers. I noticed neighbors trying to keep them off of their lawns. The little boy just walked slowly towards them clapping his hands and they moved to another area. They were doing a lot of preening...
    August 9, 2017 236 (2).jpg

August 9, 2017 245 (2).jpg

2. Loading...

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Sherry,..nice to see such a big flock,..or should i say gaggle :),..oh boy i am sure they leave a huge mess on someone's lawn :whistling:

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Maybe they'll move on to spend winter somewhere else. Handsome birds they may be but, as you say, the mess they make is incredible.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

We have a problem with geese at work, leaving a mess on the waterfront and dock. We put up a simple 'goose string' which is a few wooden stakes with string tied along to make a bit of a barrier right along the shoreline. It is rather effective. They sure leave a nasty mess ... looks like a small dogs droppings but a LOT of it!

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

They're a real problem. When I was a kid they used to be migratory but over the decades I've noticed more and more they're just settling in and are not migrating like they used to.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

During the summer they can't fly so they hang around a bit more for a few weeks.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

we haven't seen that many since I took the pictures....I think they have left the area for the winter till next year. We had one that was injured but he either got better and flew away or is dead some where in the area. I felt so bad for him/her being injured, their partner came back and stayed a while but then left.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have never seen such huge flocks as this year. everywhere. they are such a nuisance. filthy. noisy. I was at a friends house Saturday night where a flock formed and flew over... it looked like hundreds of them. I have never seen such a huge V of them. at the park yesterday they were all over the water.

10. goodguys3

goodguys3 New Seed

Ohh. They are very lovely. I think they are only bird which travel a lot with big body.