Canna Leaf Rollers

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by cajunbelle, Jun 10, 2006.

1. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Does anyone know of an organic control for leaf rollers. These bothersome little worms are not going to get the best of me. I love cannas and will continue to grow them. We once tried boiled cedar tea on silk worms on our corn. We sprayed it just as the silk began to emerge and once or twice again afterwards and had no trouble with worms in our corn. I was wondering if that would work for the leaf rollers. Any help would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have Cannas none like yours I would love to have some that color.I don't see any worms on them and never had the problem .I just can't help you any .I just think that is a gorgeous
    color.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I couldn't find much on the web about organic leafroller control but here is a site about their control that I did come across.

http://hortipm.tamu.edu/pestprofiles/ch ... nnalr.html

I would certainly try the boiled cedar tea on them - much better than having them destroy your beautiful cannas!!

5. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I do plan on trying that next spring. I have them pretty well under control now. The few I see I just undo the leaf and hand pick them. I plan on do a small plot of cannas next year as an experimental plot. I may just get all scientific and keep notes and dates and the whole nine yards. Wow, maybe I can have my 15 minutes of fame if I hit upon something. LOL I actually had no problem with the rollers on the canna in the pic. Sorry I don't know the name, it is another one of those things that grow in everyone's yard around here, a favorite pass along plant.

Advertisement
  6. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I love that canna! I have three different kinds but no flowers yet. Mine dont look so well. I was told they are easy to grow so maybe Im killing mine with kindness. Too much love somewhere.

I have a problem with them too but not just on my cannas. I just hand pick them off too when I catch them.

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Maybe you can keep your notes and dates in a blog here Sharon :D That way we can all view your progress :D