Canned Chicken Broth Again

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by waretrop, Jan 4, 2015.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

[​IMG]

I canned more chicken broth. I found about 50 pounds of back and necks for 10 cents a pound and couldn't resist
    buying it. I got over 40 pints of broth and all the leftover, junk, was so cooled down there was no more bones. So I had strained chicken meat,
    carrots, celery and onion including skin. It was mush.

[​IMG]

I decided the chickens could eat it. They loved it. Now I have about 20 cups of chicken fat that I skimmed off the broth
    before canning that I froze in 2 cup intervals in zip lock baggies. I think I will mix that with oat meal and serve it to the
    chickens. That should help them keep warm this Winter. I will only feed them 2 cups a week. It seems like allot s I will
    spread that out.

I will have thrown our nothing of the 50 pounds of backs and necks. I think that is pretty dang good. I used to pay 2 bucks
    to throw the bones and junk out in the garbage. LOL

2. Loading...

3. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

That worked out great Barb, the broth looks really yummy.
    But is it weird that your chickens will be eating chicken?
    Do you tell them, or is it like when you hide veggies in the spaghetti sauce, what they don't know won't hurt them?

waretrop likes this.
  4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

No it's won't hurt them. For anyone who has chickens know that a chicken will eat it's own if it is a dead carcass laying on the ground.