Canvasback ducks

Discussion in 'Bird' started by marlingardener, Mar 11, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We had been worried because we hadn't had waterfowl on our little pond this winter. Usually we have some during the fall migration, local birds during winter, and then with the spring migration, lots more. Up until mid-February nothing, zilch, nada. Then we got a lone Gadwall, swimming around all on his lonesome.
    Well, things have picked up! We've been visited by blue winged teals for the past two weeks, and today three Canvasbacks came in for a dip. The spring migration must have started, albeit later than usual. Bring on the Mergansers!

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Jane I've never heard of Canvasback ducks before but I'm so glad they've decided to use your pond. Any chance of a photograph of them? I haven't seen any mergansers on our local ponds yet so maybe they'll arrive at yours before we see any here. My pond is full of croaking frogs and the first spawn was laid yesterday. Sadly not a single duck to be seen but I'm keeping an eye out for newts. :)

4. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Jane, Eileen. Water birds are very beautiful, interesting and in great variety. Would love to see a pic of a Canvasback Duck also. Whilst I like them all one of my favourites though common is theTufted Duck. Ref Eileens pond and the Frogspawn/Newts - at my veteran age I can recall still all those years ago when fields were so so much smaller and all were seperated by hedges - wonderful for the birds nesting etc and it seemed just about every bush had a nest in it. This was at a time when far fewer cars were about and hence many more Horses which were put into fields for the night - results super Mushrooms. Everywhere there was a dip in the ground there could be an uncontaminated pond with all manner of wildlife happily getting on with it including Frogs and both Common and Crested Newts, also Grass Snakes which swim wonderfully. Must also mention the many more wild plants very much more numerous then - such as the Primroses, Cowslips etc - all this sadly now depleted and even rare.. Things have to progress and populations get bigger requiring more food etc but I feel certain that poor old Ma Nature over all has had a very raw deal from it all. Thank goodness for the many many enthusiasts such as ourselves who strive to keep it all going and help where we can - gardeners very high on the list. Regards. Syd.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

[​IMG]
    This is a Canvasback--not our photo because we couldn't get close to the ones in our pond. This is from National Geographic.

Frank likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Jane. What a lovely bird - can see why you are so enthusiastic about them - I would be. Can see how the name was come by - it does look like a strip of canvas covering its back. The tail looks very tiny - is it?. Syd.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Syd, the tail folded is small, but when they get ready to fly and do the "walk on the water " dance, it fans out and is larger. Gadwalls and Buffleheads have larger tails, even when folded for swimming.

8. eileen

WOW look at that bright red iris. I don't think there can be many species of duck with thos red eyes. Thanks for showing us the image of a canvasback duck Jane. Now I can say that I know exactly what they are!!

9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Jane. Eileen. Very bright lovely bird.. Just for interest I did just the one time came across a brightly coloured Duck a few years ago. Out walking and always whilst doing so taking in a local private lake to see what was about saw a group of Ducks - they appeared to be Mallards and females. Putting the camera zoom lens on them I noticed the last one was different - a lovely Mandarin - the first I had ever seen. I was told they are getting about in this country more often now - probably Eileen gets them in Scotland?. Syd.

10. eileen

Your right Syd there are parts of the country here where we can see Mandarins. They are really strikingly handsome birds in their breeding colours aren't they?

11. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen. I was very impressed with it and did get some really good pics - also a complete say so on them from my daughter in law who is the complete bird watching nut and very knowledgeable. Birds are a fascinating and interesting subject altogether for sure - I just cannot/could not imagine a life without them and thats a fact. Hope you are well. Syd.