'Card' Blanche At Christmas Time

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Sjoerd, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, that was the Season to be jolly. I thoroughly enjoyed it and as I sit and mull the Season over, I keep coming back to the cards. The Christmas Cards. We received several and even though the cards were from different places, they were all nice and deeply appreciated.

I always take special note of the cards and after reading the message, examine the card closely. Some are printed in print shops and some are hand made. What I want to do on this thread is to show just three of the cards that meant the most to me. I would also like to encourage the rest of you to post your favs on here as well because I am always interested to see what has attracted other people's interest.

Here we go then....The first card is this handmade beauty from an very, very dear friend. It was not selected entirely because this person is dear to me but I appreciate that someone takes the time and has the skill to make cards themselves.
    005.JPG

Just look at the simplicity of this card.It has the words, but it also has one of the symbols of this Holiday--a snowflake. A snowflake is a natural, and some would say a divine expression of perfection and uniqueness....for although there are untold billions of them, each is unique. Obviously one can then think that the maker would be subtly indicating their opinion of the receiver. I like this.

Next we have this one:
    006.JPG

This card was selected with an icon of the natural North American culture. I have seen these birds for sale in claustrophobic cages over in Mexico. It broke my heart, and I had the urge to buy them all and set them free. But I digress-- Look at this card carefully. It too conveys a feeling of the Season.Chilly coldness, the purity of new snow and of course the contrast of the three colours of Christmas--white and red, the colours of St. Nicholas...and green. Such a beautiful bird...and they know that I am fond of birds.

Finally a hand-made card from France. I liked this one because it folds up completely. I think that they are called, "pop-up cards". The Christmas Tree collapses completely when the card is closed:
    003  B.jpg

But when it is opened, it is meant to be presented lying flat on a bureau surface after the tree has "popped-up".
    003  A.jpg

My s.i..l. picked this up back in the summer down in France at a little street market.

As I said earlier, please show a couple of your favourite cards along with a couple of descriptive words, if you find it necessary.

Kay, carolyn, Frank and 3 others like this.
  2. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

What I believe would be my most favorite Christmas card never arrived. It was filled with pictures of my Granddaughter and Grandson, and had their handprints inside also. I do hope it shows up sometime soon.

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I can't pick three cards as my favourites as all our cards hold a special meaning for us. Some are from special friends some from relatives and some from close family. I've decided to post a couple of photographs of them all and let you decide which ones you would pick as favourites.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frank and Jerry Sullivan like this.
  4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Cardinals are my favorite birds. We have bird feeders hung in the small woods behind our apartment building. I always watch for the cardinals. Now, it is a bit cold for them but they always return. When we lived in Texas we had lots of cardinals all winter long as that is where they go for the winter. I knew when I saw those cards that they were meant for me to share. dooley

Frank likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Bless you DOOLEY.
    We don't have anything like them here. Such a shame, but that is why I find them so special.

EILEEN--That is a nice group. Thanks so much for posting them. I can see why you would have so much trouble picking only a couple.

I am so glad you posted some, I hope others will too.

6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Did not received any physical card this year not even from my insurance agent, they all came electronically! Guess the economy must be real bad here!

Errr ... Happy New Year Sjoerd :)

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

heh heh heh....Happy New Year, KK.
    It looks like more folks on here got e-cards as well.
    Not even a card from your insurance agent---what is the world coming to ! :)

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I went to the bookstore and bought a 2017 calendar to hang in my kitchen where I sit and make my lists and schedules, etc. There is a different picture of a cardinal for each month. It has large squares for each day so there is room to write appointments and such that I need to remember. dooley

9. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

We noticed that most cards received at Christmas were on white background. Not a lot of colour. We have six grandchildren and five of them were included on their family greeting.
    Just one sent us an individual card and that was 7 year old Louis, made with his own hands at school. His handwriting has a way to go but the greeting reads "Wishing You The Best Christmas Ever and a Happy New Year"
    That is the only card that I shall keep....

DSCF4335.JPG DSCF4336.JPG

And the Christmas tree is tissue decoupage...

Islandlife, Sjoerd, Frank and 2 others like this.
  10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I still have cards from when my children were young Raddang and they are treasured. I love all the kisses on your one from Louis.

Sjoerd and Raddang like this.
  11. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Well, Sjoerd, I am reading this long past Christmas, and the cards we received have been tucked away. Actually, it was just yesterday that I took them down LOL.... anyway I loved seeing your post. I always love the cards with Cardinals on them. I sent pretty Cardinal cards this year!
    A trend we have going now is for folks to send a picture. Especially the younger crowd (like my kids, nephews and nieces). It is fun to see the kids as they grow. However; they usually skip the personal note, just sign their names, if they aren't already printed on the thing!!
    I guess I always think its nice to write a little message to the recipients to say hello and Merry Christmas and all. I especially liked your first pic of the handmade snowflake. Very pretty and heartfelt.

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much RADDANG--
    That was a special card that you chose. I can see how it would mean so much to you.

KAY--I guess that it doesn't matter when you read this thread. hahaha. I always write a small note on the cards that I send, that way the recipients can realize that
    I am not just going through the motions. Some of the people that I send cards to are not folks that write me all that often, so when I do write them it is important to include a bit of natter...know what I mean?
    That first snowflake card was from a very special friend to me. Yup---a really special friend.
    The cardinal card was also from an important friend. I liked that one too.