cardinal bush.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by margie12u, Feb 16, 2017.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

i have a big red cardinal bush, but its never bloomed, would anyone know why, i wanted it so bad it has a beautiful color but no blooms ever, i dont know what to do, thank you margie

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cardinal Bush is a form of weigelia. Weigelias are pretty reliable, but as you said "I have a big red cardinal bush". My guess is that it needs a hard pruning if it's big. Are any of the stems 1" to 1 1/2"? If so, they need to be cut out. Weigelias are normally pruned just after blooming, but since yours isn't blooming, you can prune any time in spring.
    Weigelias are beautiful, and a great addition to any garden. I hope you get a flush of blossoms next year.

4. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

oh i forgot to tell you i have pruned it back the last 2 years because it got large, i thought that would do but it didnt, thank you margie

5. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Beat me to it Licenter!! I was about to post exactly the same link. I hope it helps you to get your Cardinal bush to flower for you in the near future Margie.

LIcenter likes this.
  7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

It sounds like it is lacking something it needs. I am wondering when you trimmed it back, did you cut right above a little growth area? I can't think of the word right now to explain it better. Like with a butterfly bush you need to leave at least 3 of those little growths on the stem and cut right above one. At least in Wisconsin that is how I do it.

LIcenter likes this.
  8. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

Nodes?

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I found this information on nodes:

A plant's stem consists of nodes and internodes. A plant node is the area from which leaves grow. Nodes are also the location of buds that can grow into branches and aerial roots. The space between nodes on a stem is the internode. Locating the nodes of a plant is important when you are doing regular maintenance such as pruning, and also when you propagate plants from stem cuttings or grafts.