Checking The Roze Kointjes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We call these Roze Kointjes here, literally translated that means "pink bums", or "Pink Behinds".
    Well, I know that it isn't time to harvest my spuds yet, but I just can't wait any longer. They won't be ready for another two weeks; however, I wanted to see how they were coming along so that I could gauge when it would be time to harvest in earnest.
    I was pleasantly surprized to discover that they are right on schedule. We had some of these new things tonight with butter and purple sprouting broccoil. It almost brought tears to the eyes...they were delicious.
    Here are the roots of the first plant in the row.
    [​IMG]
    I lined them up along the fence so that I could get an idea oh exactly how many taters were on one plant.
    Needless to say, I was pleased with the amount (27 counting the little ones which we eat as a delicacy here. We call them krieltjes.
    [​IMG]
    Here they are in the trug looking very smart. You can perhaps see why we call them "Roze Kointjes"
    [​IMG]
    I wish that I could share these with every one of you.

2. Loading...

3. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Their little behinds are pink, that is too cute. Seriously, that is a great haul from one plant. Enjoy in good health.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I agree what a great haul from just the one potato plant!! You must show us the crop you get in another two weeks. :stew2:

5. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Wow Sjoerd, that last pict-those are some really BIG spuds, taters. They look delicious.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Lovely-looking taters! Wish I could have tasted those first ones, they sound marvellous! :D Just another two weeks until harvest? Will you be able to keep your fingers off them until then?

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ha ha ha... you know me all too well, Droopy....it'll be tough, I guarantee it; however in order to keep myself in check for the coming two weeks, I have another gourmet-race (early) that I "must" ;) check on, the 'Belle de Fontenay'.
    It should be ready when the Roze kointjes are, but I really should pull a plant just to see if it's progressing, don't you think? :)
    Not only to check on their growth progress, but also to do a Quality Control on the flavour.
    Heh heh heh...oh, I've got it all planned with special 'soft spreadable' butter in the fridge at the ready.
    One must be prepared with the necessary technical tools for taste-testing.
    Naturally, with the left-over butter, I will be able to apply that to the coming sweetcorn 'tests'. I couldn't let that butter go to waste, now could I?

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh, I agree whole-heartedly. Checking the taste is very important, and of course you'll need the proper equipment. I find it admirable that you don't want anything to go to waste. :D If there ever were a potato nut prize, I think you're a strong candidate for it.

9. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

S;
    Your pictures made me so hungry. Nothing like potatoes fresh from the garden. do you also have a root cellar for your produce? I'm afraid I would just eat all the bounty as soon as it was ready. Have mercy!

Gardengater

10. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Oh boy! This is my first year growing potatoes, so you're making me want to go out a dig up one plant so bad. LOL. I have a feeling mine aren't that far along though.

11. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Fab spuds Sjoerd. Similar looking to our Pink Fur Apples, although they can be a darn site nobblier (is that a word??!!)

I have just started digging the International Kidney spuds, which are otherwise known as Jersey Royals, and I can tell you,they are devine. Their flesh is sweet and smooth and creamy! They are my dessert island spuds. I can just cook a bowl full, have a dollop of butter, and sit curled up on the sofa dipping them in the butter and scoffing them with nothing else!

So come on, dig up your bellas and give us a show.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hee hee hee...:) You guys sound almost as enthousiastic as I am. We have been exchanging 'mails with a supplier to get hold of those sorts that I pictured. We sent him some pics and told him of our experience...as well as promised to mention the spuds and his firm in a newsletter next spring if he is successful.

GARDENGATER: No I do not have a cellar and am forced to keep them on the north balcony in perforated crates. I just throw a dark chenille spread over them and all goes well, but the conditions are not optimal. I just have to live with this, so I must to eat them before they sprout too heavily.We have planted different sorts to become ready at different times-- so that will help to avoid a glut.

DROOPY: A potato nut am I?! :eek: What'r you like! Why, I only ever just grow them and have the occasional taste. :setf_004: I deny anything more than a passing interest. ;) [​IMG]

EJ: This potato that I showed is a cross of the 'Pink Fir Apple' and 'Charlotte', both tasty in their own rights. So you were spot-on when your eye caught the similarity.
    I am also growing the Charlotte and 'Ratte d'Ardeche' this year additionally. The one featured above is the 'H arliquin'
    You know, the way you described eating them is exactly the way we like eating them best. :oops: :) :p It's decadent...but my, oh my...they are so delish!
    My bride and I were looking and discussing the tater crops for next year and decided to give the Jersey Royals a try for sure.
    We have been able to get only 10 of the harls from a friend in England, but I really do hate putting her to all the trouble, so if the dutch seed dealer can aupply them, I shall be over the moon--cos I will order more than any measly ten! I laughed and told my partner that I could plant our entire alloted area with only the harls. :-D Well, they're THAT good. ;)
    Anyway, I shall tell my partner what you have said about the JR's...she'll be delighted to hear it. Thanks for the suggestion.

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looking at those made my mouth water Sjoerd! It amazes me at how far ahead of up you are there...mine have just poked thru the soil! I hope mine are as numerous as yours :)

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

My fingers are crossed for you, Netty. I'm surprized that you are so far behind us here as well...I would have thought...about the same.

15. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

Those taters sure do look tastey. You always make my mouth water with your posts Sjoerd. Nice job!

16. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I did the same thing with my fingerlings when dooley and dr were here except I put them in with fresh green beans yummy that way too.I never have bid potatos as I can't leave them in the ground lond enough to get big.I had the first batch like ya'll did :)