Chipmunk got our first ripe tomato....so I took the ripe one off of his plant

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sherry8, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Those little stinkers...again they beat me to our first ripe tomato....I fixed him, I picked the ripe one off of the plant I had for them. Maybe he thought ours was better because it was bigger...it was a BIG BOY... Usually when I plant a small tomato plant for them they leave ours alone but it looks like I will have to be on alert and faster than they are...I can just taste that BLT...

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If your tomatoes are anything like my strawberries and blackcurrants you'll have to get up really early if you want any for yourself. The blackbirds here must be very early risers as by the time I get into the garden all the best fruit has gone and there's an abundance of blue and red 'poo' dotted around the beds. Good luck with rescuing the rest of your tomatoes before the chipmunks scoff the lot.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Don`t blame you a bit. I would have done the same thing. :)

5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I got the second one...I picked it a little early just so they didn't get their teeth into it. It looks like it will be a while before the next ones start ripening, I am hoping they won't climb on the tomato cage for the higher ones;)

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I noticed my coneflowers all dying in a certain part of my flower bed by the front door...after investigating we found tunnels and when I walked in the area my feet sunk into the dirt. I watered well and I am hoping they don't like wet dirt and will find a neighbors yard to tunnel in. The coneflowers were tipped right over and drying up...:flower:

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Darn those rodents! One gets your tomatoes and another kills your coneflowers. :( I hope the water discourages the tunneler.

8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Thus far, we're blessed with all our veggies. I began early on flicking Japanese beetles into a pail of soapy water. I'm sort of holding my breath because it's almost too good to be true. Everything is fenced except the yellow squash and zucchini. The groundhog in the area hasn't tasted them yet. Crossing fingers. He did gobble a couple of cucumber plants before we threw up a quick, little fence around them.