clover in grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by dimdim42, Jun 11, 2010.

1. dimdim42

dimdim42 New Seed

I am starting to get clover in my grass. it is slowly spreading around. i am looking for a natural way to get rid of it. the grass is very healthy and am trying to stay away from weedkillers. can anyone help?

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm afraid you'll have to dig it up. Good luck.

(I always leave the clover on our lawn. I like it, and it's less work for me. :D )

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I always leave it too. I like it and the bunnies like it. They don't bother anything else in my yard and I think it is because they have plenty of clover!

5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I like clover in the lawn too....we seem to have more each year so get it out now if you don't want it. Here is something I just found on this old house website...

If a few isolated weeds show up, pull them by hand or try an organic weed killer, such as Nature's Avenger, a spray containing citrus oil, which dehydrates weeds down to the roots. Some gardeners swear by vinegar to do the same.

Please be careful with vinegar because it will kill the grass.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Also, the vinegar used is not household vinegar. It is horticultural vinegar that is 20% acidity, household vinegar is only 5% acidity and is great for making pickles. ;)

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I leave the clover in my lawn too. It stays green even when the rest of the lawn has gone dormant :)

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We are actually planting clover in the pasture, since it is such a great plant for our bees! If you can bring yourself to leave the clover and let it bloom, you may see a lot of pollinators, and an increase in your flower and vegetable gardens.
    Advantages of clover--it is green when grass goes dormant; it attracts beneficials; and you don't have to mow it (this is a biggie for me).

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

We have a neighbor that has bee hives and another neighbor that buys honey from them says it has a taste of clover to it (I have no idea what she means by that) and that I should get free honey from them because the bees like my yard so much.

10. anablake

anablake New Seed

Vinegar may get rid of the clover, and the grass too, more probably the grass rather than the clover.
    If this is White Dutch Clover it is growing where it grows because there is a lack of nitrogen in the soil, WDC is an indictor plant of low N levels. The best, organic, way to control this is to properly care for the lawn, mow high, water regularly so strong, thick, healthy growth is maintained, and feed the lawn properly.

11. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

I like to leave clover in my yard too. I heard years ago people didnt try to get rid of it like they do these days. I too find it beneficial for attracting bees on the white flower thing on top but its everywhere between the grass so i usually have to cut it at some point to get the other stuff.

On a side note the clover is good for bee's but me and my 2 sons have all been stung under foot by stepping on bee's as we walk through the yard. We just walk more carefully now.....and of course cant blame a bee for reacting that way to a giant foot on its head. :p

12. RJ

RJ New Seed

Leave the Clover in your lawn. It's Generally known that a little Clover is the sign of a good healthy lawn. :D

13. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Clover is a nitrogen fixer in the lawn. It's a good thing.
    I have a very so-so lawn of grass, it's not my thing...We just sort of mow and ignore, but I kinda like having the clover. :D

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Who wants a perfect lawn anyway. It looks too good. People are afraid to walk in it and the clover is good for the bees.

cherylad likes this.
  15. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I just read about a safe way to get rid of dandelions and I am pretty sure it said clover when you don't want it.

It is from Gardens Alive.com and the product is called IronX. I plan on ordering today to use it on the dandelions and will let you know if it works. It isn't cheap but when you consider the hummingbirds use dandelions in their nests, I don't want to harm them with chemicals.

16. dawg803

dawg803 New Seed

I have heard a lot of people talk about this issue... someone on a lawn care staff and I were talking the other day and there are a variety of ways to get rid clovers.. personally though I think they add character to a yard!