Cold Compost or Hot Compost?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by SuburbanHomestead, Sep 3, 2014.

?

What type of compost do you make?

1. hot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. cold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. neither

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SuburbanHomestead

SuburbanHomestead New Seed

Most of the compost I make ends up not heating up very much (partially from not having enough material around to provide the right balance). I would like to know if you usually get fast hot compost or slower cold compost, and how it performs in your garden. I made a video about what I've learned about composting over the years and I would like to get more insight into fellow gardener's personal experiences. Here's the video:
    [YOUTUBE]watch?v=OS0QzL21f_4[/YOUTUBE]

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ha! Summer in Texas,,everything is fast and hot,,very hot. (joking) Actually I don`t compost anything since I have horses. I use horse manure instead which doesn`t have to be composted. It just has to be dry which happens very quickly here.

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I will be trying serious composting starting in the Spring. I have tried in the past, but with neglect, it was a big failure. :oops:

I think I got it now....maybe. Thanks for the added knowledge.

5. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Pile it up, let it rot. Mix if you must. Sift and use.

I used to got the ratio/turning/temperature monitoring route. For me, not enough ROI of time or energy. I get pretty much the same results from what I posted above. YMMV

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I use FBG's method--rot happens! When I sift out compost, the big bits get tossed back in to continue decomposing. I throw any vegetable matter, weeds, chicken manure, and grass clippings that I have.
    No meat, no oil, no dairy goes in to prevent critters "rearranging" my piles.

7. SuburbanHomestead

SuburbanHomestead New Seed

Thanks everyone for the replies. It really helps to get a sense of what other gardeners are doing.