Cold day=good birding

Discussion in 'Bird' started by marlingardener, Jan 7, 2017.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It's downright frigid out there, but the birds don't seem to mind. We've had a Yellowlegs and a Common Snipe appear at the pond, and a Yellow-rumped Warbler darting in and out of the cedar tree outside the kitchen window.
    If a penguin shows up, we'll know it's really, really cold out! Snipe 2.jpg Yellowlegs 1.jpg Yellow-rumped Warbler 4.jpg

Frank, FloraPie, Sjoerd and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

So nice to see the birds that are visiting your pond Jane. The little Yellow-rumped Warbler is a handsome little fellow and must look even better when it's in its breeding colours. I hope it keeps visiting so that we can see it again in the spring.

LIcenter likes this.
  4. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Great pics, Jane! ! ! DH's work??? If so, he is getting really good with that camera...
    Love y'all, Hank..

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Yes Hank, my dear husband is the photographer in the family. I can barely turn the camera on, much less take photos. It's complicated with different settings and zoom lens and such. I just encourage him to get out there and take photos!

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

We have only had about a third of the birds we normally do. Usually we have many cardinals and this year we have had about 6. All here are the regular year round birds,,we have had none of the winter migratory birds. Are your numbers about the same as last year MG ?

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, no our numbers are not the same as last year's--we have the same number of species, but fewer specimens of each (except for the Red wing blackbirds and the cowbirds--nothing seems to deter them!). Our White crowned sparrow count, cardinal count, even English sparrow counts are down. We've had migratory birds, but fewer and for less time. An ornithologist friend and his colleagues say that the weird weather patterns are to blame.
    We may be stuck with an over-supply of suet cakes!

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Same here. We have a few but nothing like last year.. Just stick those suet cakes in the freezer,, you can use them next year.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh, I liked seeing those birds, Jane. You guys really are coming out with some special foto's lately.

marlingardener likes this.
  10. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We fed the birds in Texas and had a lot of cardinals every winter. Here we have smaller birds, sparrows, some wrens and some larger ones that I can't identify from the window and if I go out they leave. dr feeds them wildbird seed and sunflower seeds every day and hangs a variety of suet balls or cakes. I did see a cardinal yesterday eating from the ground under the feeders. We have a family of squirrels eating there, too. I have counted as many as five squirrels. They chase the birds away but when one of the bigger birds show up, it dives at the squirrels and they leave. We are at the edge of a small woods so have plenty of birds that come to the feeders. dooley

11. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

Squirrels are annoying, I caught about 400 now and taken them down to the woods. Always have a couple around though.