Color help for my bathroom renovation!

Discussion in 'Choosing Colors' started by britt_schaeffer, Oct 2, 2009.

1. britt_schaeffer

britt_schaeffer New Seed

I am officially color challenged! We're renovating our bathroom, and we're doing hte floors in a darkish gray/charchoal porcelain tiles, and on the walls we're doing a very matte white tile. does anyone have any suggestions regarding a color for the wall? i like a modern look, but i don't want the room to look too cold. it's also very small, so i was thinking I should avoid dark colors...? Advice, anyone? Thank you so much!

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Britt, I is possible to provide a colour guide of some sort? I know you probably haven't done the renovation yet and can't provide photos of it but if it was possible to provide a visual of the colour we could suggest colours easier.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Britt - just dropping in to say welcome to GardenStew from Scotland. :-D

How about a nice pale blue as it would go quite nicely with the grey and the white? If not then a primrose yellow, which is a nice delicate shade would also compliment your colour scheme.

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Why not go modern and use a lighter tone of the same color as the tile. You can have the tile scanned and then go several shades lighter. I've seen some friends rooms that have used the new grays and have been very impressed with how warm the colors can be. They also accent well with hot oranges and cool blue/greens

Advertisement
  6. InteriorInstyle

InteriorInstyle New Seed

Decorating your bathroom with wall stickers

Sometimes finding the appropriate color palette for your rooms gets so confusing...

I definitely think that some wall stickers can put that color quote in your rooms, even if their wall colors are plane.

moderator's note: removed website link, see point 1.1 of usage rules

7. KrysDesign

KrysDesign New Seed

I think that's the main challenge with modern designs, they are really very cold!

I hate living like that, it's almost like living in a medical lab, not a house.

I'd suggest that you go with more yellowish colours and try to implement more simplicity around the furniture etc, that should give you a more modern look but still feeling of a home.

8. sntferanch

sntferanch New Seed

I would go for a dark color on the wall. lime deposits sticks to the wall, so if you're on the go - go dark :stew1:

9. vintagedwelling

vintagedwelling New Seed

Thank you so much for saying go dark. I have a bathroom as well that I want to paint and it has green and white tiles and white woodwork. My thought would be that the dark would make the white pop and provide a nice contrast, but everyone is telling me light is better. I already have two light green rooms, and don't need a third. Thanks again.

10. alexrichards

alexrichards New Seed

Hi Britt! I personally find that lighter shades of paint work well in a bathroom but it depends on personal preference of course but also on how much natural light is allowed to enter your bathroom! Blue is one of the most popular colour to choose of course but also mixing ligher and darker shades work well - for example having a light shade of blue as your base colour but then adding darker shades around the bath, shower or sink to personalise it. :-D

moderator's note: removed website link, see point 1.1 of usage rules

11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

When you mentioned color for the wall I guess it must be the part of the wall that is not tiled and you do not want it to look cold ...... hmmm. I think a very bright shade of pink yes pink :) and if you have a window use a slightly darker shade of pink on the opposite wall to give it more depth. If you can place a huge mirror here it will definately help to brighten up the bathroom. Don't forget the ceiling, give a bright colour instead of the boring white ..... very bright yellow would be great. Actually you can use other colors to your fancy, I suggested pink and yellow is to give it warmth :) Anyway goodluck!!