Color of wall paint question...

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by needshelpwithcolor, Jan 8, 2009.

1. needshelpwithcolor

needshelpwithcolor New Seed

I have some really nice walnut hardwood floors and some cherry, mahogany and deep red tones in my furniture. I am looking for a color that works well with both the flooring and the furniture -- I have scoured the internet looking for good pics of flooring similar to mine with a non-white wall color and have come up empty handed. Anyone have any good suggestions?

I have inserted a pic here of my flooring.[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. kdavisinteriors

kdavisinteriors New Seed

HI. A neutral tone on the walls will work great with your accent color. I have deep cranberry accents in my living room and used a light sand color on the walls. If you want more of a contrast on the walls you can go a few shades darker. Any of these sand or Caramel tones will also compliment the hardwood floor nicely. Check out the paint companies websites and you can easily match any of their colors to colors Home Depot, Lowe's or other hardware stores that sell less expensive paint.

Another factor that you should consider is the sheen of the paint. I would recommend a satin or eggshell. They can withstand the most ware and tear and provide a nice subtle gloss to the walls.
    Hope this helps!

Kristina

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I would use cream tones or something in the yellow line...nothing like a lemon, softer..

5. blackswan

blackswan Seedling

I dont know if this will be any help to you but I found this page im not very good on a computer so i will write down exactly what address came up at the top page of my screen.

http://womentodaymagazine.com/family/colorconfused.html

it says about what colours go with different things and which colours should be used in north or south ect facing rooms.
    Hope it is of use

Advertisement
  6. colourmegrae

colourmegrae Seedling

How about a nice cream color, or a deep burgundy? I may just be wishing about the color of my walls, that's what I'd want for mine. :rolleyes:

Cream would look nice, though, in my opinion.

7. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Your floors look beautiful, and I would think that any color you choose would be enhanced by that beautiful flooring! Do you have any other inspiration to help you choose on a color...a piece of artwork, rug, etc?

8. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Wall color

I've seen a lot of chocolate used in wall color these days. If you want a contrast, maybe this on an accent wall and the rest cream.

9. Juliewells

Juliewells New Seed

Your floor is beautiful as it is dark in color you can use some light color on the walls of your room, it will enhance the beauty of your room

10. cezz

cezz New Seed

I think cream and mocha is a nice combination of paint in that kind of flooring.. I've seen a home and have the same flooring and they use combination of cream and mocha paint in wall.

11. Govig

Govig New Seed

In case you decorate another room......I realize this is an old thread :p I would suggest also looking at the psychological affects colour can have - I know this over laps with BlackSwans post but first think of what you are going to use the room for and what mood do you want to be in when in that space. Now see what best fits with your flooring (very nice by the way!)

I personally think you would be pushed to find a colour shade that doesn't go with your floor as it is neutral. Isn't brown like black in clothing (really on dodgy ground now talking about fashion as I am a bloke :-D) that it will go with anything?

a link to the UK's BBC website with some links on it regarding colour psychology...hope it helps.
    relevant page on the BBC website

12. MargauxHF

MargauxHF New Seed

Starbucks

The colors you described reminded me a lot of the interiors of Starbucks. I would suggest looking at pictures of how Starbucks decorates for inspiration. Maybe an olive green for the walls? That would be ballsy, but has potential to look great!

13. DCgirl06

DCgirl06 New Seed

I think a deep burgundy or maroon would look great. Or an eggshell white, or a light green.

14. Betesh

Betesh New Seed

Try off-white or cream for your wall, to make it look bright, because the color of your floor is dark.

moderator's note: removed website link, see point 1.1 of usage rules

15. SanDiegoLarry

SanDiegoLarry New Seed

I'd go with a forest green to contrast with the rich brown. You could also use a more vibrant green.

Deep burgundy or maroon (as mentioned above) are also great choices.

Oh, and the eggshell white would be good if we are talking about a small space.

16. sntferanch

sntferanch New Seed

for that kind of flooring, it would be better to use something like a yellowish marble or a mocha color with a few darkened colors - say like a splattered mocha marble once again... :)