Color Run Fun!!!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, May 15, 2016.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

A bunch of us did The Color Run Saturday morning which is a 5K mini marathon .....a few people from my dance Studio.. we're Team DanceQuest. And for added fun, I convinced my son Cameron and his girlfriend Sarah to give it a shot. Sarah got so excited about it that she talked her Mom and sister into coming too! We had quite the party.

The Color Run, which I do twice and sometimes three times a year if they do an evening one as well as their spring and autumn runs, is a 5K mini marathon, and is called "The Happiest 5K On The Planet" for a reason. It's open to everyone, every age, no matter your physical condition. It's a relatively easy course, and you can run, sprint, walk, or crawl. I've seen folks in wheelchairs, folks on crutches, people in casts, braces, wraps, people so incredibly overweight I can't imagine how they're going to finish, entire families complete with strollers, kid-carry backpacks and pulling little red wagons of toddlers.

There is clothing that has come to be associated with the run. When you sign up you're given a t shirt, a couple tattoos, sunglasses, headbands etc. There's other merchandise you can buy. I wear a multicolored tutu, thigh high checkered socks, and white leggings and a color run t shirt, so that the color shows up well on my clothes. I've worn feathers in my hair, leis around my neck, colorful garters, beads, bracelets. Anything goes as long as it's bright and happy. My most favorite thing is to see men sporting adorable, colored tutus, especially when they're matching what their kids or SO is wearing...a not uncommon sight! :)

It's upbeat, loads of music, very friendly, folks cheerleading you on, way stations along the route with portable bathrooms and bottled water, and the most helpful and friendly staff I've ever encountered in a race. The participants too are just amazing, one for one. I've yet to encounter a fellow runner who is anything other than friendly when I've asked them to take a photo (folks are handing their cameras/cell phones to complete strangers all the time asking for a photo of their group) accidentally bumped into them or stepped on a foot....at the start of the race it's hugely crowded, thousands of people doing this, and so they release the runners in batches. There is a sense of camaraderie and esprit de corps that i've never experienced to anywhere near the same degree in any other race.

There are color stations along the way, where powdered color is released coating the runners in a rainbow hue of color. (cornstarch base) You don't have to run the color, but almost everyone does. You start out clean, and end up looking like a rainbow .... or a muddy mess if it's raining and all the color bleeds together. I've experienced both, and it's fun under all circumstances, because of the people involved.

The Race started at 9.00 and we were on the way home again by 10.30. It doesn't take that long to walk a 5K .... well under an hour for me. We get there way early in order to park not too far away from the starting line...it fills up really fast, and there are folks to get their at the crack of dawn in order to be first in line.

Ready to rock and roll!
    [​IMG]

From L to R: Sarah's Mom, Sarah's sister Emma, me, Sarah and Cameron. Nice and clean because it was before the race :)
    [​IMG]

Sarah's family
    [​IMG]

Waiting for the start. Emma behind me.
    [​IMG]

One of my dance friends Cindy and me
    [​IMG]

SUCH a cute couple! :heart:
    [​IMG]

After a couple of color stations
    [​IMG]

Cindy's hair looked amazing! She was sorry to have to wash it all out. ;)
    [​IMG]

Color baby!
    [​IMG]

And we're done! Kinfolk family
    [​IMG]

Dance family
    [​IMG]

eclecticgarden, Sjoerd and eileen like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh boy that looked like a really fun time. Love the colours you're wearing Ronnie - both at the beginning and the end.:rolleyes: Well done one and all. :setf_016::setf_016:

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Way t'go y'all.