Competition Quilt

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Kiasmum, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

As promised,here is the background to the quilt I had in the exhibition at Cae Hir gardens back at the beginning of August.

Last year(2012) they held their first outdoor quilt show in these beautiful gardens and I was cajoled into entering one of my quilts by the lady who does the actual longarm quilting for me.
    This one:
    [​IMG]
    2012 Entry Quilts in Cae Hir. ( photo / image / picture from Kiasmum's Garden )

There was no theme last year and a varied selection of quilts.We had such a good time that it would have been a pity not to go again.

When I was handed the entry form for this year there was a theme of The Netherlands. This is in honour of the gardens having been created by a Dutchman over the last 30 years.You can read and see more here:
    http://www.caehirgardens.com/

So,as soon as Mark saw the theme he came up with the idea that I ran with and over the next 3 or 4 months I pondered and toyed with ideas and eventually came up with this quilt.Which is my interpretation of one of my favourite childhood songs "A mouse lived in a windmill". For those of you not familiar with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzzypNbSm5k

This is my quilt out of the plastic:
    [​IMG]
    The Second Prize,Quilts in Cae Hir 2013 ( photo / image / picture from Kiasmum's Garden )

I chose some of the elements of the song and used a mix of quilting and applique for the music,the windmills,the clogs and the stairs and the family of mice.

The quilts at Cae Hir are not judged on technical merit but by Visitor Choice and I am delighted to say that my quilt won the Second Prize overall,and was second on 2 of the 3 days of the show! :D :D

As you know it was pouring down on the last day but I was thrilled to see the ribbons pinned on and even more thrilled to have won a £25 voucher for some quilting on my next large quilt.

[​IMG]
    Prize Ribbons ( photo / image / picture from Kiasmum's Garden )

Apparently lots of the visitors enjoyed the fact that I had done my own thing and hadn't followed a pattern.

This is the winning quilt
    [​IMG]
    The Winner,Quilts in Cae Hir 2013 ( photo / image / picture from Kiasmum's Garden )

and the third prize (no.17)
    [​IMG]
    No.17 The Third Prize ( photo / image / picture from Kiasmum's Garden )

Anyway,in 2014 there is no theme again but I already have lots of ideas that need polishing and then executing.

Frank, donna in nc, donm and 9 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm honestly not being biased but I like your quilt better than the one that got first place.
    I love the fact that you chose a different slant on the Dutch theme from all the others. It's so bright and colourful and would fit easily into any bedroom ( Mine!! ;) )

Kiasmum likes this.
  4. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

your quilts are beautiful

Kiasmum likes this.
  5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Such awesome quilts KM. I wouldn't even know where to begin making one!

Kiasmum likes this.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I agree with Eileen... your's IS much prettier than the first place one. Congrats!
    Oh yeah... I LOVE LOVE that orange one with the butterflies!

Kiasmum likes this.
  7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That is absolutely gorgeous. Great choice of colors and the details are tremendous, your quilt should have been #1 all three days!!!

Kiasmum likes this.
  8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Yeah, I have to agree. No bias, just an honest evaluation of everything that you've shown us. I would have chosen your quilt for 1st place without a second thought!

It's just gorgeous.

Do you, by chance, do any work on commission? ;)

Kiasmum likes this.
  9. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Your quilts are stunning Kiasmom! I love them. And the windmill and the mice are so cute. I never heard that song. My quilting is still at the beginner's level...

Kiasmum likes this.
  10. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Wow your very talented and I agree you should have won first! Beautiful work.... and congrats! :)

Kiasmum likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a variety of patterns. I quite enjoyed seeing these entries and reading your words.
    I also enjoyed seeing the Dutch influences.
    thanks for posting these threads.

Kiasmum likes this.
  12. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

No one has ever asked :D . I just enjoy doing them for my own amusement for our house and for gifts.

Thank you all for your lovely comments seeds and patches :D

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I meant to ask you KM--do you put skirting on your personal quilts for the bed?

14. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

No I don't Sjoerd but for the competition quilt it doesn't matter as it won't actually be going on the bed.The ones I have made for the bed are bigger all round but don't sweep the floor as they'd just get even more samoyed hair on them than they already do :rolleyes:

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hee hee hee...right.
    Y'knowKM--this thread has generated some interest, hasn't it. Well, quilts are really quite lovely things to see. I can remember a few years ago when I was travelling around in Morocco, I was walking in a back street in Rabat and what did I see on the side of a building?...a vertical sign that said , "American Quilt Exhibition".

These were all older quilts and were quite large. I was just amazed to see them...and the fact that they were being displayed in a back street of Rabat, Morocco was even more astounding.

Anyway...congrats on this very interesting post.

Kiasmum likes this.
  16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Karen, I think your quilt is ingenious! a superbly executed piece! I think it is far more eye catching than the others and I liked it better than the other two, also. If we had all been there you would have won, because we would have voted for yours not even knowing it was yours.

Kiasmum likes this.