Compost bins.

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by mbwest, Jun 22, 2006.

1. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

Compost bins.
    I was looking for a compost bin mainly so I have somewhere to throw all my left-over bits and pieces and to possible save myself a few £ on future compost however I have seen a few sites dedicated to 'making compost' and the 'layers' you should put in. I wanted to simply use it as a 'eco-friendly bin' if you know what I mean. Would that work? (i know there are certain things you cant put in it).

Thanks again guys/girls

2. Loading...

3. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

Good ? glad someone posted this. I just stared one and I like more info on it also. I stared with a large potting pot and its to small now and beginning to smell. Don't know what to do about it.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

5. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

Thank you. Eileen

Advertisement
  6. Hank

Hank Seedling

No need to buy one of those expensive store models. The simplest way is to get some 3 or 4 foot wire fencing, bend it into a circle, and fill. Don't worry too much about "layering" and "proper" things to put into it. The key is to turn it over often. Yes, more work, but it's worth it. Simply unloop the wire bin, set it up again right next to where it was, then fork the compost back into the bin. I do this twice a year if I'm feeling ambitious.

Now, the way I do it is a bit more elaborate, but I'm kinda goofy like that. I built a bin that is 4' tall, 6' wide, and 3' front to rear. It's made from lumber scraps, wire fencing and treated lattice wood for the front side to make it look perty. It has two areas in it for depositing my waste. When one side is full of compost, I shovel it over to the other side. After a year I have to best weed free composted soil that you can find. All from rotted weeds and clippings and leaves.

The smaller the pieces of yard waste, the faster they compost. I recommend not putting masses of iris leaves in all at once, as it forms a carpet that breaks down slowly. And keep meat scraps out of there, as it attracks skunks and other unfriendlies.

7. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

I looked at the sites. One ? is coffee grounds ok. they said tea bags.

8. Hank

Hank Seedling

Coffee grounds, coffee filters, shredded newspaper...all good. If it can decompose, dump it in. I shred and compost my junk mail.

9. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

I have found that with my covered compost bins made of black plastic that the most important thing is to remember to add lots of water to it since the rain does not get into it.

10. thesecretgarden

thesecretgarden Seedling

I like your answer Hank. My compost sounds a lot like yours except I don't have the nice fence in front and I am always going to do something like that. Years ago I bought one of those expensive tumblers that sit up on a metal leg base and you fill it and then turn it. I never got anything to work right in there and it stunk so bad. I finally gave it away and the person I gave it to couldn't get it to work either and they gave it away. LOL

Yeah, just toss it in a pile on the ground. I like that way better... :D

11. flowie

flowie Seedling

i actually took an old garbage pail, cut the bottom off and burried it and throw the stuff in. its been working good so far and i got a whole bunch of rotted stuff for my garden :D .... i throw everything in there. grass clipping, fruit and veggie scraps, tea bags and coffee grinds, even the old banana leaves from my plants that break and turn brown. i water and turn every week.