Compost Tea??

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by Donna S, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Anyone making compost tea? If so do you airiate and agitate for 12 hours? What are the main ingredience being used? I've read all about it on differenet sites, but they also want to sell you their products.
    So any info appreciated. thanks.
    Donna

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The old fashioned way appears to have been replaced by pumps, syphons and other stuff.

Take a 5 or 10 gallon bucket, fill 1/3 full of completed compost, add water (either dechlorinated or well) to the top of the bucket, give it a good stir, cover with burlap, let steep for 3-4 days stirring when you think about it.
    Dechlorinate tap water by filling a bucket and letting it sit uncovered for 24-48 hours.

Secure the burlap or an old shirt over the top of another bucket as a strainer and slowly poor the liquid from the first bucket into the second.

Use the solid matter either in the garden or add to compost bin.
    Use the tea diluted 10 parts water to 1 part tea...either pour onto plants or use as a foliar spray.

4. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Thanks Toni. That sure is alot cheaper then what I've been reading. And I'm in luck with the water as we have well water. Going to go brew me some tea :)