Computer Craziness

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Droopy, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm back online! YAY! :sete_056:

My computer died on me a week and a half ago. I put it in the shop, but they couldn't do much to save it. It was nearly six years old, which in my opinion isn't old at all. The young lads just stared at me so I realized that I was probably way out of touch with the real world. They tried to revive it for a few days but had to give in.

So I needed a new one. I don't much like laptops so I had to find a stationary one big enough to suit me. They had a bargain deal on a nice Acer so I took it, left instructions to what I wanted installed, paid and left. Two days afterwards it was ready, and I picked it up and carried it very carefully home.

When I started to connect mouse, keyboard, speakers, screen etc. I realized my screen cable didn't fit the PC so I needed a new one. Of course the shops were closed then. I finally got my cable and started my new toy. It couldn't find our internet. I am certain they said it was wifi ready, but I probably misunderstood something. I put a whatchamacallit into the PC to make it connect with the wifi thingamagag, but it still wouldn't work so the next day I went back to the shop. The young man was very apologetic and started checking things out immediately. In the end he admitted defeat so I had to find a new whatchamacallit which the chap helped me set up.

The new whatchamacallit is working on the normal wifi, but it can't find our superfast wifi so I have to get the PC and whatchamacallit back to the shop on Monday.

I've got Windows 10 on this machine. As a special favour to me the chap has made it look like Windows 8 so I won't have to struggle to find my way around. The boys working in that shop are good lads that do their best whatever I throw their way. I think I'll give them each a marzipan pig and thank them for their patience if they manage to fix my gigahertzwifiproblem. :snicker:

Ronni and 2ofus like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Droopy, do you remember when "computers will make your life easier" was the mantra? I'd like to speak to a few of those folks now. I hope your thingamagig and gigahertzwifi and whatchamacallit all get aligned and working.
    (This written while I'm shaping my goosequill pen and filling my inkwell).

Ronni, 2ofus and Droopy like this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

18 months is basically the age limit for computer technology, after that things have improved so much that what was new and wonderful when you bought it is now way out of date.

Droopy likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh dear I think my computer is as old as the dinosaurs. I doubt if anyone could do much with it nowadays but as long as it keeps doing what I want it to do I hang onto it. Good luck with your gigahertzwifiproblem and I hope you get your whatchamacallit to connect to your thingamagig so that you can find your superfast wifi. Whew now I need to lie down in a dark room as my two remaining brain cells are exhausted.

Droopy and marlingardener like this.

Advertisement
  6. toni

That's why I love being married to a computer guy, he started out building them, then repairing them and for the last 30+ years he has been telling them what to do and how to do it. I just turn the problems over to him.

Droopy likes this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

If my husband, bless him, can't fix or find away around a computer problem, I still have my quill pen and inkwell as back-up. He understands how a computer's "brain" works, and can usually take care of any problems.
    Toni, you and I are truly blessed--let's keep our computer guys as happy as possible!

Droopy likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Wow...what a story!!

I agree with you that 6 years is not "old" for a compi. Oh well, you now have a new one. It will be good when you get your speedy wifi connected and. It will have been a long journey.
    Marzipan for the lads at the compi shop....that would be an ENORMOUS motivation for me to work fast and focused for you. hahahaha

Droopy likes this.
  9. Droopy

I used to be able to tinker a bit with the computers way back when, but these days I just stare angrily at it, disconnect it and carry it out of the house to let the experts take care of whatever's ailing it. My computer guy (my oldest nephew) moved a couple of years back so I can't holler for him to come help me. So take good care of your computer guys, they're valuable!

I've also got quills and ink wells, just in case I need it. And stamps.
    Anyways, the chaps at the shop can understand Droopysh. When I asked for a whatchamacall it to plug into the gadget to connect with the thingamagag on the wall they knew exactly what I wanted. :smt081 My technical English is perfect, don't you think? :sing:

2ofus and Frank like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chortle.....well, who couldn't understand that!:D

11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I completely understand what you're talking about Droopy. My computer language isn't always as polite as yours but if I threaten mine enough it usually behaves itself!!

Droopy likes this.
  12. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I would have been totally lost. I can operate one ....if it's working! If not, I turn it over to Mike. That was at his request when he saw me physically abuse it. :oops::oops:

Droopy likes this.
  13. toni

Ummm, when Randy saw the results of my getting ticked off at my iPod a few months ago he now keeps better track of how the new one is doing. :eek:

Droopy likes this.
  14. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I am very, very lucky. Three of my boys are programmers and two of them have built their own computers a number of times now...so I tell people I have my own personal geek squad for any issues I have!

Droopy likes this.
  15. Droopy

Hm, Ronni, I wonder if I might make my youngest change her mind about her chosen career... I need a geek!