Cousins' Day

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Sjoerd, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Members who have been members here for a while have seen in the past a posting or two of our Cousins' Day. It consists of several parts--The welcoming tart and coffee/tea. Then chatting and something more lunch-like to eat. Then the activity and finally a meal to send us on our way.

This year the activity was to make Easter Snacks. Here you can see a pic of some of the things the bride and I made on that day:
    kippies.jpg

I made the little chicks there in the middle of the pick. Actually, I can't decide if they look like chicks hatching out of an egg or penguins. Anyway, here's how they were made:
    1-- Take four hard-boiled eggs and cut the bottoms off so the egg will stand upright. I made the bottom out of the thicker end of the egg.

2-- Very carefully remove the yolk. I had to pierce it and break it up into small pieces to get it out a tiny bit at the time. Set this aside, as it will be used to make the devilled paste filling of choice.

3-- Cut wheels of carrots (small carrots). Then cut them into the shape of little feet. Set the triangles of carrot cut from in-between the toes They will be used to make bills.

4-- Slice a black olive in half and take a straw and pierce the olibe. The little bit inside the straw you can just press back out. These will be the eyes.

5-- Stuff the paste back into the hollow egg and pile it up well above the end of the egg. Punch the eyes in, place the bill, dab the paprika powder on the cheeks and finally replace the cap and set it onto the waiting feet.

That's it. They were almost too pretty to eat, but we managed.

The bride made some sort of spinach roll (over to the right) and spanacopita's as well as stuffed toms. I also made little thin omelette's stuffed with all manner of goodies and a plug of mon chou in the top.

What a fun day it was. Next year it is our turn to organize the 'do'.

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Would you like a cousin in Texas? I'm up for adoption . . . .
    That spread looks great, and those devilish chick eggs are just adorable.

carolyn, Sjoerd and Philip Nulty like this.
  3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Very artistic and tasty looking little chicks,..well done Sjoerd,..it must be a careful operation removing the yoke and refilling the hollowed out egg,..i can imagine all the interesting filling one could make up :setf_020:

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sure thing JANE--I'll draw-up the papers. Thanks for the nice words.

PHILIP--Cheers. It was fiddly work getting the yolk out, but I enjoy fiddly jobs. The bride told me I was in my element. hahaha. Too right. The list is endless in terms of filling--you are right about that.

Advertisement
  5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

The whole plate looks so yummie cousin :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think we should have a cousins day over here!! If you're going to adopt Jane then I want to be here sister 'cause then I'd be your cousin too. ;) Everything looks mouth watering and I really love the little chicks you made.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you, KK--They were indeed yummy snacks.

I'll bet that you would enjoy that EILEEN--We have been doing it for 27 years. Each of the cousin groups live in a different part of the country, so when one of the groups plan the day then it involves several families. Then we rotate it each year. At the end of the day then all the cousins and spouses are informed of what it costs and then everyone pays their share. We set a limit. Our limit is 35 euro's per person. This involves all eats, drinks and activities.

Next year it is our turn and we have secured a barn on a biological farm here and we will do line dancing as the activity. That ought to generate some laughs.

Tooty2shoes and Growingpains like this.
  8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

The food looks quite tasty and the fellowship quite fun. We call it Cousins reunion. I opt for the idea of Line dancing in a barn. If I were a bit younger, Clogging would suit me.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good heavens Sjoerd, you are going to do boot scootin' next year! If you like, you can get some ex-pat Texans to teach you the moves.
    Your Cousins Day should be the best ever! Please post pictures and descriptions of the Cousins Day 2018!

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

you must of lost my invite in the mail... I am pretty sure I am a second cousin to your mothers aunt 3 times removed on the great grandfathers side of the fam....

11. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Looks DEEE-LICIOUS! :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks GP--for your posting. It ought to be fun in the sense that we all will probably laugh at each-other so much that our sides will hurt afterwards. They don't know clogging here the way that they do it in the u.s. They do have a sort of clog-dance native to this country, but it is nothing like the clogdancing there though.

Hahaha--boot scootin'--That's a good one, JANE. Who knows, maybe it will catch on here. The workshop holders suggested modern music, but we said, no...it must be some sort of country music. We may even get red bandanna's for each cousin and their partner. We shall see how the budget goes.

Hee hee hee CAROLYN-- Another lost cousin. My family keeps getting larger all the time. I feel honoured. Blimey, who wouldn't like having you as a cousin. I do have a cousin living in the states sort of close to Nashville, Tennessee.

Oh ISLAND--it was, it WAS.

13. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Well, I have relatives near Nashville, TN.
    They used to farm, but my brother in law and sister died and the children aren't big on farming. I believe the 100 and more acres are for sale.
    Beautiful wooded hills and a meadow with a gurgling brook running through it.

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Maybe I ought to move over there. hahaha.
    The farm of your relatives sounds very nice.

15. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Actually Sjoerd, I think your home is great. Especially your lotties.

Tooty2shoes and Sjoerd like this.