Crepe Myrtles can get big!

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by marlingardener, Jun 26, 2017.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

When we moved here there was a white crepe myrtle in the corner of the barn lot--overgrown with lots of little sprouts around the bottom. I pruned it to more of a multiple-trunk tree form and have kept the sprouts cut off. Here it is in bloom, and yes, that is a utility pole behind it, just to give an idea of its height. Our crepe seems to enjoy its corner of our farm! White crepe Myrtle 1.jpg

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. glendann
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. dooley
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have two pink ones in the hellstrip out front that are that tall. They were in the yard when we bought the house 30 years ago and already about 10 feet tall. One was knocked down by a drunk who missed the stop sign on the corner and barreled through the neighbors yard and crashed into it, mowed it down to the ground. That was about 27 years ago and it is now taller than it's sister who hasn't been damaged.
    They will come back with a new mission to take over the world after being damaged like that. I love them.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That is one spectacular tree Jane. I think your Crepe Myrtle has decided to call that corner its home somehow.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Jane its a beauty,..it really stands proud in that spot,..well done for looking after it,..it would be interesting if you could start off a cutting from it and set it not far away,..for company :)

Henry Johnson and marlingardener like this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Philip, I love how great minds run on the same track!:setc_083:
    I took cuttings two years ago, and about half of them struck. I raised them up until they were in one gallon pots, and then gave them to friends, keeping one for ourselves. It is planted in a corner of the orchard area, and seems to be doing fine.

eileen and Philip Nulty like this.
  7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

:smt041:smt026:smt041 Nice one Jane,..now that makes me smile,..i reckon i must look at too many animated garden plants where a plant alone longs for company :),..i bet your friends were over the moon with the young trees knowing how the Mother Tree looked.

eileen likes this.