culture of pumpkins

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Aura, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Aura

Aura New Seed

Hi all,

What kind of pumpkins do you grow in yours gardens?
    I have bought today a butternut pumpkin and I have made a delicious pumpkin puree.

There are some pictures :
    la culture des potirons.JPG purée de potiron.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Aura, we don't grow pumpkins since they require a lot of water, and that is a scarce item here in Central Texas. I do buy pie pumpkins (small, kind of flat on top) to use in baking.
    I make pumpkin/nut bread, use pumpkin puree in pies, and feed the rinds to the chickens. The hens can reduce a rind down to 1/4" in one day--they love their pumpkin rinds!

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Butternuts were the only one I grew this year. I just don't have the space to give up for a crop that requires so much space. I did have a volunteer pumpkin this year and as dry as it was I did get three decent looking fruits from it. I fed them to the chickens, though as I guessed they weren't fit to actually eat. I tried growing a crop on the chicken fence, but that didn't work put so well, either. Maybe next year I will try it again. Once I planted them they either got scratched out and the seeds got eaten or they didn't germinate due to the drought... I had one that actually grew but didn't take off until Sept and we got a heavy frost/freeze last week and it got toasted. as always in gardening... there is always next year to try it again.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Save those seed and grow your own. They do well here if I can keep them watered. Pie pumpkins do best in our area. (NE Texas)

Advertisement
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

My hubby likes to grow some large pumpkins that we just use to decorate the front porch. Not sure what variety they are. This year our vines all died so we now have fake ones. I wasn't sure I would like them. But they are really, real looking. Plus they do not rot.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I've never had the room in my garden to grow them so I've always bought them. Once I decided to scrape some of the meat out of my children Halloween pumpkins for pies before they carved them. What a job! Of course I was trying to scrap the pumpkin out of a 6 inch hole in the top! I guess it would be easier if the pumpkin was cut into chunks first. :confused: