Cut down Red Hot Poker Plant or remove the shoot?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by shazzeebabe, Sep 7, 2009.

1. shazzeebabe

shazzeebabe New Seed

Hi, I would like to know how to take care of my Red hot poker plant, now that it has finished blooming. It stands about 5ft and half way down its stem, is a shoot. Do I cut it down to this or do I remove the shoot. Would appreciate any info that someone may have concerning the up keep and care of this beautiful plant

Many thanks

Shaz xx

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Logan
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Logan
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You don't say where you live, but if the weather is still warm you could very well get more blooms on it. Remove the fading flower spikes to encourage blooms.

Most don't need to be cut back until late fall and since they are evergreen, you can tie the foliage together during the winter to prevent water from getting into the crown. Then next spring untie it and move any dead or damaged foliage to get it ready for another year of blooms.

4. shazzeebabe

shazzeebabe New Seed

Red Hot Poker Plant

Hello and thank you for your reply.
    I live in England UK, and although we are coming into Autumn it is quite warm still, but the two heads that were on it have now died off and i don't think it will bloom again. Do i just cut these off now, or do I cut it where the little shoot has grown, which is just underneath the head. I just don't wish to destroy it or do it wrong, as it is such a lovely plant. Really do appreciate any more info you may have regarding this
    Many thanks
    Sharon x

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I would go ahead and cut off the dead flower stalks, even if it does include the small sprout.
    Since your growing season has pretty much come to an end the plant is ready to rest for the winter.

Do you have any pictures of it in full bloom? We would love to see them if you do.

Advertisement
  6. shazzeebabe

shazzeebabe New Seed

Red Hot Poker Plant.

Hi and thanks again for your reply. Sadly i do not have any pictures, but will do as you suggest, and pray that it comes back beautiful next year.
    Much obliged for your help and all the best to you
    Take care
    Sharon x

7. alanmg

alanmg New Seed

red hot pokers

Hi my dad has red hot pokers in his garden in Kent, the ones that he cannot get to at the back of one of the beds he just lets die back on there own.
    The ones nearer the front he cuts off the flower stems near to the base when they have finished seeding.
    Both ways the plants come up bigger and stronger each year.
    Alan

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Thanks for this question and the answers -- I planted red hot poker this Spring and love it. I was beginning to wonder how to care for it through the winter.

Toni, by chance do you know if the little bumps on the flower stalk are seeds?