Dahlias, Begonia's, and Oxalis bulbs

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Mar 14, 2015.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have never started any tender bulbs before. The instructions are on the boxes on how and when to plant. I am a little puzzled over the instructions for the begonias. It says to start the bulbs in January, but I just bought them, in damp peat moss until transplanting in May or June for my climate. Don't they need soil and nutrients during this long of time? I guess I'm asking in a round about way how any of you start these bulbs. The dalhias are the collerette , 15" tall, and oxalis is to be planted in soil or pots after the last frost date which sounds right to me though I want to start the dahlias a little earlier for quicker blossoms. Any suggestions would help as I have never started any of these before.

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I'm not certain, though I remember my grandma starting begonias indoors in individual pots way before she ever put them outside. (I always thought the tubers were sick looking) But, with us in zone 6A our growing season is very short in comparison to most everyone else :(

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Thanks for answering. I'm going to plant them in pots tomorrow but I think I'll use regular potting soil.

5. bloomers

bloomers New Seed

I always buy these packs as soon as they hit the stores,then I pot them up using potting soil.This way they are plants by the time they get planted outside when the planting season begins.

6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I grow Dahlia's each year, potting them up the beginning or mid April for planing out in the garden in mid May. I've never had success keeping begonia tubers over the winter for some reason.