damp shaded ground cover

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by film495, Sep 9, 2013.

1. film495

film495 Seedling

was planting grass in a few depressions I leveled out

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from film495's Garden )

aroudn the edges some of this ground cover seems to be coming in

[​IMG]

this is a close up of the leaf

[​IMG]

the area is fairly damp, and shaded - I'm fighting moss through this area and was curious what the ground cover is. I raked a good portion of it turning up the soild to see about getting grass to grow and pulled out lots of vines/rhisomes or what not. It came right back up. I'm looking for a ground cover on the other side of the house that is a little sunnier, am curious if this could be the answer or if it needs the shade. growing all along the edge of the woods, on the north side of the woods, slight south facing slope.

2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That is creeping buttercup. Very hard to get rid of once established.

3. film495

film495 Seedling

seems fully emerged in this area, I pulled it out with a garden rake so I could plant grass and a couple weeks later you'd never even know I did anything. was just mowing it like grass for a while, didn't seem to bother it at all. This area is shady and wet, so the underground stems seems mature and robust. I actually saw some of it on the other side of the house in the grass and it made me think I should figure out what that is - thanks, creeping buttercup is right on the money.

4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    The buttercup is very tenacious. It self sows prolifically as well as rooting from runners. I leave it in my one "grassy" area along with whatever else wants to grow there (this is a little orchard area at the back of the lot).. With two years and a watchful eye I almost have i the buttercups gone from my perennial beds. It is easy to see in the winter and spring before everything else is out of the ground. A long trowel to get the "head" and as much of the roots as possible works good. I always go out after a good rain and look for because it seems easier to get out when the soil is really saturated.

If the area is wet and shaded you might want to think about alternatives to grass. Moss gardens are pretty. I ended up turning an entire area into a shade garden. Now the moss looks great on the paths and in the beds with woodland plants ;)

Advertisement
  5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I have spent many back-breaking hours fighting this little buttercup :-x But, if in the right spot, you can't beat it for a ground cover :-D

6. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

OOh boy, this is my nemesis in one customer's garden!! I have pulled on those runners, dug, yanked, torn ruthlessly. It is very hard to get rid of!! I can't really spray it because it's in a bed with a lot of flowers and shrubs. The little yellow flowers in spring are pretty, but that is about all I like about this one. I would definitely try to get rid of it!!

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

It doesnt look like any buttercups I have seen.

I leave the moss in my yard, and love it. It makes a nice velvety green cushion in places hard to grow grass.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash