Darlows Enigma

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Bosque, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Bosque

Bosque Seedling

image.jpg Hello everyone, am new to this forum and am enjoying myself alot. I got a cutting of this rose several Years ago and managed to root it. Now I am not a big fan of white. Preferring bicolors, but the fragrance of this rose bush has changed my mind. I planted it below my kitchen window and when the window is open and there is a breeze coming in it's like having an air freshener in the window. I am very happy that I managed to root it.

2. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

It looks absolutely lovely :like: and it definitely looks wonderfully healthy.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love the scent of roses and would really enjoy having one like yours under my kitchen window. It's an impressive bush!! Well done in rooting it.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Welcome to the forum, and I'm glad you are enjoying visiting with fellow gardeners.
    That is a very impressive rose, and one I've never seen before. I'll have to look for it!
    Are you in the southern USA? If so, roses like our climate. Here in central Texas they are practically evergreen.
    Oops, I just read your introduction, and see you are from New Mexico.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

I don`t think I have ever seen one that grows like that. Its huge !

Philip Nulty likes this.
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Oh yes,..a big full bloomed rose bush and scented into the bargain,..i couldn't resist taking a cutting were i living near you :rolleyes:,..if you have room you should take another cutting,..having two,..just in case.

7. Bosque

Bosque Seedling

Hello, yes I currently have several different cuttings that I am trying to root including several Darlows Enigma. I am trying out a new rooting method I found online. Keep your fingers crossed that it works good.

8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

What a beautiful, huge rose and I'm impressed that you started it from a cutting.

9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I'm more than impressed you started this from a cutting and the result was a super large glorious rose bush.

10. Bosque

Bosque Seedling

Thank you all for you kind comments. I think I got real lucky with this rose bush. It is a constant struggle here in my area to get plants to grow well. I am a firm believer that location is the most important thing in getting something to grow well. I have had good healthy plants just go very quickly into a downward spiral no matter the care and attention I give it. It's just not happy where its planted. Some will continue to struggle along for years before finally dieng. Others like that Darlow grow by leeps & bounds with no special care. I have learned not to plant in some spots in my yard. I am however stubburn and will try planting something different. But if after the 2nd or 3rd failure I will concede defeat and find a happier spot.