Day Lilly question

Discussion in 'Daylily' started by Capt Kirk, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

I have Stella de Oro and they are supposed to bloom all summer. But mine do not. My question is, Are you supposed to dead head the seed pods after they bloom? I have tried it and no new blooms. I have tried leaving them on and no new blooms.

moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

I always deadhead my daylilies, Capt. and let the seedpods dry out to collect the seed. Mine are still blooming.

4. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Well we went out and removed the seed pods. My wife went onto the Oro web site and they said to deadhead them. Otherwise they put all of their energy into forming the seeds instead of new flowers. While we were working on the bank, we noticed that my mini allium heads were down on the ground. The stalks are about 3 ft tall. So we took 2 tomato cages and cut them in half and they hold the stalks up so you can see the bloom. The bloom head is about the size of a 50 cent piece.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have Stella D'Oro's too. They seem to have one big bloom time and then they just have one here and there the rest of the season. I deadhead them too :)