Dehydrating spaghetti squash

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by DMJ24, Jan 28, 2013.

1. DMJ24

DMJ24 Seedling

Has anyone here ever done it? If so, were you successful and was it worth it.
    I am going to be feeding a family of 4 adults and 2 children. Perhaps 3 more adults, depending on the health of my 80 yr old parents and a brother.
    I am trying to do away with a great deal of wheat. I believe we have wheat sensitivity in our family. And we love spaghetti. My daughter has thyroid problems and i have been reading that may be linked to wheat sensitivity.
    Thought i would try it as a substitute. I do not have room to freeze anything so i thought perhaps dehydrating spaghetti squash may have possibility.
    Any thoughts, suggestions on this?

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I haven't ever thought to dry it, but have you used it fresh? I found it to be very brittle the one and only time I tried it. (It tasted just like squash, too....I was expecting it to be a little milder that it was). I think the best results would be to use it fresh or cook it and freeze it, but if it frozen it may loose it's spaghetti like texture.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Try the Vermicelli Winter Squash (Spaghetti squash) I got seeds from Pinetree this winter to try. https://www.superseeds.com/products.php ... i%20squash Stagger the plantings and you should have some to eat all summer and into the winter since the skin hardens and holds it for up to 6 months.

#38201 VERMICELLI SQUASH (F1 Hybrid 90 days) - $1.65

In the beginning it was all just pasta. But we curious bi-peds decided we needed more variety - linguinni, fettucini, orzo, perciatello, and yes vermicelli. This is pretty much the same - an improved spaghetti - it is earlier, grows more densely in less space, and is a more dependable provider of uniform fruit. This is a positive addition to your diet with great flavor. Spaghetti Squash also provides the can - when the skin becomes hardened the fruit will keep for up to 6 months. 15 seeds

I haven't bought regular spaghetti noodles in a long time, we love the squash! You do have to cook it longer than the directions say or it still has a raw squash taste to it. But with sauces of all sorts on it we haven't really missed the regular noodles.

5. DMJ24

DMJ24 Seedling

thanks
    I didn"t realize there were so many varieties.
    I was talking to the dietician today at the doctors office and she said she loved it. But had a hard time with cutting it. I told her to wash the outside really well and put the whole squash in the microwave for 3 to 5 minutes. then the knife will cut through the squash easily like a hot knfe through butter. I do that for any winter squash. I don't like cooking my winter squashes in water. gets too soggy.