desparately seeking CRUNCHY ham glaze recipe

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by CritterPainter, Nov 17, 2007.

1. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

DS had a spiral-slice ham once that had a glaze that was crunchy (not from nuts, from the brown sugar), and really loved it. So I've gone through every cookbook I have, and spent way too much time rewording it on different search engines, but cannot find a recipe. And getting redirected to places to buy it already made really don't help!! So I would send a big cyber-hug to any gardener (even if you are covered with compost, really!) who has a recipe! The main thing is, it MUST be crunchy (sigh, funny what our kids get locked in on!)
    Thanks!!!!!! Mary

2. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

CRUNCHY BROWN SUGAR CRACKER HAM GLAZE
    1 cup cracker crumbs
    1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    Dash or two ground cloves

Mix together well.

:eek: This is the only one I could find, besides the one you buy from Smithfield hams.

3. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

The only crunchy ham glaze i know of is brown sugar mixed with just a little pineapple juice just to make like a paste then plastered to the ham, an let the oven do all the work,, sorry if i couldn't help, but good luck. :stew2:

4. flopsy

flopsy New Seed

crunchy glaazed ham

Hi! Don't know if this is what you are looking for but here's my baked ham recipe:
    I stud by ham with whole cloves all over and bake at 350 degrees till nearly done. (Oh, I line the broiler pan with foil and place foil over the top rack of the pan and make slits in the foil over the slits in the rack to let the juices flow into the bottom of the foil-lined pan. I usually add a little water to the foil lined bottom pan at the beginning of the bake cycle.) When nearly done, I take from oven and remove ham to platter. I pour the pan juices (be careful, the pan is very hot and I use pot holders) into a bowl. To the fatty juices I add some pineapple juice, mustard and a good bit of brown sugar and mix well. I return the ham to the pan rack and lay the pineapple slices from the juice on the ham and around it. I baste the ham and pineapple slices with the brown-sugar mixture several times while the ham finishes baking. When nearly done, I pour the remainder over the ham and let it cook another few minutes. mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm great. (remove cloves before slicing)

Advertisement
  5. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Flopsy,
    You are making my mouth water, and it is too late here to be eating. LOL There is nothing like southern cooking. I can almost smell that ham baking!!! :D
    MMMMM!MMMMM! :p

6. CritterPainter

Wow, now that's a Ham!! I saw the cracker one but the kind my son is so on about actually sorta made a candy-like case around the ham. Which is, like, food perfected to an 18-year-old.
    Thanks for taking the time to post, and believe me, if I find the right one I'll post it here for everyone!

7. juliar

juliar New Seed

I know just what your lookinr for here it is

1-can crushed pineapple
    1-box Lt brown sugar
    1 pkg unsalted crackers crushed
    1 TBS mustard
    cherries for color and taste
    Heat brown sugar and pineapples (add the whole can juice and all)untill soupy.Add mustard. Slowly add the crushed crackers untill you get the desired consistency.place in oven to bake untill brown and syrupy.May take a few tries untill you get what you want but it is great !!!!!
    Merry Christmas
    Julia

8. CritterPainter

Oh, wow Julia, that sounds fantastic! A keeper recipe for sure.
    DH hit on one, too, it's sort of a no-recipe sort. After he cooks the ham he coats it with a mixture of spices and sugar, then hits it with a culinary torch (we got one years ago for something else). Really makes a candy shell. Not health food by any stretch of the imagination, but then that's why new years resolutions were invented, eh?

9. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

Perhaps substituting the crackers for finely crushed cornflakes would work in above recipes Critter? They are sweeter, very crunchy, and combine well with the sugars.

10. habee

habee New Seed

For the kind of "crunchy" you're talking about, the ham glaze has to caramelize. This is often done with a torch, but it can also be done by cooking the glaze. I worked on this for years before I finally got it right!

moderator's note: removed website link, see point 1.1 of usage rules