Did i mess up my peppers?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by CJay, Apr 14, 2016.

1. CJay

CJay In Flower

Maybe I'm starting out too fast. Or maybe too late. Or maybe I'm starting things at the wrong time.

My experiences gardening came from my grandma. She planted everything at the same time and it all worked out. Well I decided to be adventurous or excited or whatever with this little garden this year. So I started everything at the same time and just brought them inside when it got cold. Well the stuff I read didn't like the cold anyway. Spinach is doing very well left outside.

So in one of my 72 piece starters I bought from the dollar store i did 24 habinaro seeds 24 jalipinoe seeds and 24 cucumber seeds. I put them in a week ago and the cucumbers have already poked out. But the peppers haven't. Do they take longer? Did I do something wrong? I'm a big girl. Your criticisms are welcome.

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Peppers require very warm soil to germinate and hot weather to grow. Put the seed trays in full sun and take them in when the temps are going to drop at night.
    They might rot in the cold/wet soil so you might be starting over again. But I wouldn't even think of starting them outside until June in your area.

And most seed packets have a chart on the back with a map of the zones and months for planting. That would be best to go by when planting something that is from a climate a lot hotter than where you are.

hummerbum and Sjoerd like this.
  4. CJay

CJay In Flower

Thank you

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Right,,peppers are a hot weather plant. I started mine from plants and with weather going from 60 to upper 70`s it still is not warm enough for them. They are just sitting there doing nothing. You could put more seeds in now if you have somewhere warm and sunny for them.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

You have 4 six packs of cucumbers ? Pickling or slicers ? I hope you have a lot of friends and family that like cucumbers.

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. CJay

CJay In Flower

All of the above.

I love cucumbers

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Warm and sunny is okay as long as you aren't putting that clear dome over them at the same time. It will act as a miniature greenhouse but have no way to vent the heat generated by the sun and then you will overheat the seeds and kill them.. Do you have any of the bottom trays that are webbed? if not stop at a lowes/HD or garden center and ask for some of the trays that they are going to throw away (that are from the plants that people are buying by the cell pack). then turn one of those over in place of the clear dome.

CJay and Sjoerd like this.
  9. CJay

CJay In Flower

Ok thank you. I'll stop by Lowe's after work tomorrow.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

My pepper seeds always seem to take a tad longer than some of the other ones.

CJay likes this.
  11. CJay

CJay In Flower

I really need to start reading directions. I always jump into things and figure them out along the way. Reading directions would probably save me a bunch of time and questions.

Thanks people.

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. mart

mart Strong Ash

LOL ! Well you should have enough for half your town. Since they make so much I suggest you start stockpiling vinegar and sugar now. And get a good canning book. They produce all season long.
    I plant one six pack and can supply three families and have plenty for canning.
    There are several good refrigerator pickle recipes if you like pickles.

CJay likes this.
  13. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

I usually start peppers inside in a tray with a dome near my pellet stove and a I use a clip lamp as a added heat source and light after they sprout. Don't get discouraged peppers take longer to germinate than cukes and tomatoes.

14. CJay

CJay In Flower

Ok. I think they got waterlogged. Cause it's been like three weeks. I saw varous pepper plants already started at the greenhouse the other day. So maybe I'll use those this year.

15. Tacticalgardener

Tacticalgardener Seedling

Yeah, peppers love warmth and not being too wet. Depending on the type of pepper, they can take up to a month or so to germinate or maybe longer if it is not as warm as they like. I grow peppers year round and mine take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month to germinate. I start them in trays outdoors on my patio. I never use the clear dome because it is very humid here. The dome helps to keep it humid inside the trays if you need help with that. Like someone said, if it is sitting in full sun with the dome on, be careful not to overheat the seeds if there is no ventilation it could get too hot and damp. That goes for all seeds, not just peppers.

Frank likes this.
  16. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

No you didn't..takes a little longer....waiting on my poblanos to sprout and they are on a heating pad with other tomatoes that I had to sprout for back up.

Tacticalgardener likes this.