Different color than last year!

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Ronni, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I planted this rose bush last year. It did well, and put out flowers. It's growing really strongly this year, and the first bud and flower appeared a short while ago. More buds appeared, and now they're flowering too, but with this next batch, I noticed that some of the flowers look different! They're a sort of variegated color....the original hot pink, but shot with white too. How can that happen? That wasn't there at all last year, they were very uniform.

The photos don't really do it justice, it just sorta looks like the flower on the right is more in the light. It's not, it really is a different coloration than its mate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Philip Nulty and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Ronni I just read an article that said sometimes it is because the original root stock is putting out vines if the original grafted root stock had suffered some set back. I am alway intrigued when this happens. I had a min purple Iris do the same thing. I have pic's of it in my photos if you want to check it out. Will be digging the Hosta today. I wasn't able to get at it sooner. So hopefully I will get it in the mail this afternoon or tomorrow. :D

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks Tooty, for both the rose info and for the hosta :heart:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Very nice rose Ronni,..and interesting sight to see the contrast between the two blooms,..there can be strange changes with rose blooms sometimes because of grafting to a root of another bush.

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My Blue Girl rose contracted a virus and died off a couple of years ago but soon after and before I could get it dug up, I noticed 'sports' coming up and getting really long. Turns out the Blue Girl was grafted onto a red Dr. Huey climbing rose root stock and when the virus killed the Blue Girl the grafted root took over. For a year I had blue rose and dark red roses on the same bush (the blue really tried to come back but was not successful), now it is all Dr. Huey and needs to be moved before it completely takes over the other bush roses.

Philip Nulty likes this.