Dividing Siberian Iris?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Jun 29, 2015.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have 2 HUGE clumps of Cream Chantilly Siberian Iris that I need to divide but I'm not sure when or how to divide it or how big each division should be. Can anyone give me some instructions?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I divide my Iris in the fall, usually early October but since you are much further north you would need to get it done earlier. Pretty much anytime after they have finished blooming. To be safe count about 6 weeks back from the date of your average first frost and do it no later than then. That way they will have time to settle in before the ground gets too cold.

Dividing Iris isn't like dividing a clumping perennial. When you dig them up, you can pull and tease the tangled roots apart or find a natural division spot and cut them apart into individual rhizomes making sure each rhizomes has a bit of root attached and leave any babies attached to the parent, then replant them individually or in groups in the new bed.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Funny I was just reading up on re=planting some Siberian Irises. The optimum time is Spring, according to the book. However, it then says you may do it about 6 weeks after flowering, as long as you are prepared to water them afterwards.
    The divisions should be of a reasonable size (does not define 'reasonable' though). So I would guess that a good 6 'noses' would be the minimum. Plant in a shallow depression so that you can flood the plants during Summer dryness.
    It says Fall is not a good time as they do not make roots over winter and are prone to rot away.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Thank you so much. I'll divide in about 7 or 8 weeks then and if anyone is wanting any just let me know. These are over 2 feet around plus I have one that I divided last year and planted them around my yard already so I do not need any more. I had one planted in my old yard and didn't take any with me when we sold the house. That was 8 years ago and they were never divided. Not long after we moved back those people lost the house and allowed me to dig up any flowers that had lived through the neglect.

Advertisement
  6. donm

donm In Flower

I would love a start of Cream Chantilly Sib. iris. All I have is Ceaser's Brother. Let me know what the postage will be. That is a beautiful iris.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I wrote your name down so I'll Pm you when I'm ready to dig. I'll also post again asking if anyone wants any a few days before I divide them.

8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

2ofus, I would love a start too. I'll send postage. Do I have anything you would like? I have some Germanic iris, white & purple. I also have some pale yellow & purple Germanic iris.

9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I don't have more room for iris but I'll be glad to send you some.

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

2ofus, thank you. I'd appreciate some. Voles got a bunch of mine over the long hard winter we had last year & my stand of Siberian iris got decimated. Do you need/want any other kind of plant?

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I am looking for any of the early blooming bulbs such as crocus, scilla, Snow Glories (Chionodoxa) etc.. I have so many grape hyacinths that I will be removing a lot of them this fall also. They increase so fast! If anyone wants any I'll be glad to share.

12. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'll be digging the Siberian iris in the next week so it any one is interested pm me your address. I figure I'll have at least 6 to 8 nice big divisions. Let me know if you want a smaller start.

13. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Oh boy. I wish I had a spot for some of those Iris. I just got some new babies a few weeks ago from Deanna. Oh well you can only have so many flowers and mine are over taking my life. I have to stop somewhere. Happy exchanging.