DIY Peat Pots

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Bodhi, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

I have been wanting to make my own peat pots for the last couple of years. This year i ordered so many exotic seeds, I just don't want to spring for the pots.
    So after spending a half a day keywording various terms, I decided to use trusty google images and let it lead me to where i wanted to go. And look what I found!
    For all you handymen (and ladies) this is a great idea!
    I promise you I'll have one within a month :)
    The second link is what I found when using regular search engine, and is easier for smaller scale.

http://survivalfarm.wordpress.com/2010/ ... d-and-use/

http://www.ehow.com/how_7710688_press-o ... -pots.html

2. Loading...

3. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Germination pots made out of old newspapers might be even easier for you.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a great idea!! I'm going to save the second link and give it a try as peat pots can be expensive around here. However, I don't actually use peat myself but a substitute so, hopefully, I can achieve the same results.

5. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

What is the substitute Eileen?
    Coppice, I subscribe to the NY Times, San Francisco Chronicle, and Seattle PI, ...
    all online!
    I quit doing hard copy long time ago, saves me the mess ;)

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

That's neat... but looks like a lot of work.
    There's a post here on the Stew about how to make the pots out of newspaper.
    http://www.gardenstew.com/about15374.html
    It's simple to do and works great. I particularly liked this idea because I work at a newspaper... no shortage of material for me! :-D

7. eileen

Bodhi the substitute I use instead of peat is a totally natural, eco-friendly multipurpose compost which is made from recycled garden cuttings and tree surgeons waste. This waste would previously have been sent to landfill sites but is now being recycled into a really good quality peat substitute.
    I feel that by buying peat free compost I am helping to reduce the destruction of peat beds which have taken many thousands of years to form and are so valuable to our wildlife. I only use it, however, if our own home-made compost runs out.

8. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

Really great idea Eileen. The reason I asked is i too; don't want a 'solid' peat pot, thought would be good for outside (holds together well) but didn't know if another substitute would bind and hold together. I want a richer mixture to actually place seed/seedlings in, and now you've got me thinking. Have you ever tried pressing your mixture? Does it hold together, or do you know?

9. eileen

I know it holds together well when it's wet but haven't actually tried making pots out of it yet so don't know how strong it would be when dry. My half bag of mix is frozen solid at the moment which isn't much help. :rolleyes: Maybe come spring I'll be able to test it out for you.

10. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

It will be nice to know whether or not it works, then you'll have to share the 'recipe' with us! ;)