Do cucumber plants need pruning?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Jul 12, 2017.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I had always planted my cucumber making use of teepee trellis and I never prune them. The harvest is also great. After moving house I no longer have a constant supply of bamboo and now my teepee trellis is getting very short only about half the height that I wanted it to be.

[​IMG]
    Teepee Trellis - 6~7feet tall

Now I am thinking of making or rather I have to make use of 2 bar twine trellis which is my best choice. I tried it once but the plant did not grow well and I got only a few miserable cucumbers out of it. Yes I prune them according to what I learned from google. I intent to grow cucumber again maybe in about a month or two time and any suggestion would be most appreciated.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

There is absolutely no need to prune your cucumber plants. They make branches by themselves.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

it depends on what you want to do and how thick your foliage is and if you want air movement within to hopefully keep fungal diseases suppressed. I prune all the bottom stems/suckers out up the vine. I grow them inside of a structure with the plants now being about 10' tall and I am pulling them out and replanting now as they are about done.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I never thought of that Carolyn. I may have to prune mine if it becomes too big.
    cukes.jpg I planted one cuke in each corner of the tomato house and they are really rampant.

Advertisement
  6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Odif :) your cucumber looks great!

Carolyn that is a good practice, thanks :)

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

I don`t prune anything ! I just run them along the fence. If yours is too short try circling the trellis rather than going up and down. You can prune a few of the large leaves for more sun and air flow.

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Mart, I will be using the 2 bar method from now. I'll post some photos when I can start planting again. :)