Do I have a giant trumpet vine?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by sprocket2, Sep 21, 2010.

1. sprocket2

sprocket2 New Seed

Early this summer a friend brought me a small (12 inches or so) plant that she'd purchased from a roadside stand. The lady who sold it labeled it as a giant trumpet vine but when I searched for similarly named plants I found that mine was completely different. It is now about 3 feet tall with a very thick central stalk. The flowers are about 2 1/2 inches long and trumpet shaped with a deep throat and a ruffled top. the interior of the trumpet is a dark blue/violet and the top is white. When left to go to seed the pods are strange, large as a golf ball, light green with sharp purple points all over. It's coming into bloom again and I can post a picture in a few days but I'd really like to know what I have. I was planning to plant it next to a deck to eventually provide shade but if it's not that type of plant I need to know. Thanks for your help. Sprocket2

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Nate Turner
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. loralouu
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

Datura "Tatula"
    a pic would be a great help, with or without flowers??

5. sprocket2

sprocket2 New Seed

Wow! thanks. Definitely datura inoxia

What can I expect from this? Is it a vine? I know it did very well in the hot sun. Can it be used as I was planning (trained up a trellis for shade)? Also, what about those seed pods? I removed those that were already on the plant. Thanks again, Sprocket2

Advertisement
  6. toni

It's a shrub type plant, not a vine. Could be used as a sunblock on the patio but doesn't really provide a lot of shade like a tree or thick vine would. If you think you might want more of the plant, then leave the pods to dry on the plant it will split open and drop seeds, otherwise just cut them off and throw them away....not in the compost tho....and wear gloves just to be safe.

All parts are poisonous so be careful with it if you have children who might decide it looks pretty to play with or pick the flowers.

7. sprocket2

sprocket2 New Seed

again, my thanks

I just Googled it and I think that it's probably not something I want to propagate. I have several young grandchildren and a boxer that will eat just about anything. I want a vine that I can train up and over the deck and that will provide some afternoon shade. I have a lovely night-blooming jasmine on the north side of the house. I'm not sure if that can handle the afternoon sun. Time for Google again.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Datura is a pretty plant but its common name "loco weed" should tell you a lot about its safety. I had one but pulled it up when the seeds started coming up in my pasture. I have horses and it is highly toxic to animals and people. Some people have been known to make a tea from parts of it for its hallucinogenic effect.
    (Read it online,,, never tried it) Just in case you are wondering. LOL
    Have you thought about passion flower for your shade. Hardy vine, fast and easy to grow, tropical looking flowers, dies back in winter but will return in the spring, loves hot weather. All you have to do is water it.

9. sprocket2

sprocket2 New Seed

I didn't know that it was loco-weed.

I've heard of it but have never seen it until now. With everything else I'm reading about it, it just doesn't seem like a smart thing to plant out there. On top of everything else, the flowers don't last long either. Passion vine sounds like it might be a good choice. I need something that grows fairly quickly. My deck is about 8' off the ground so it has to get pretty tall before it casts shade on the deck itself. Is it too late to put something like passion vine out there this year? We'll have frost by late October even though it will continue to warm up during the day. Perhaps it would be better to wait until next spring to give it the summer to set roots and settle in?

10. toni

If you can find it in your area or order it online I would go ahead and put it in the ground now. The first frost might turn the leaves but it won't affect the roots if you put down plenty of mulch before then. Having the fall and winter to establish it's roots means the plant will really take off come spring.

With a deck that far off the ground, you could put the plant in a pot on the deck instead of in the ground. You will get more coverage from the first year that way and will be enjoying the shade/screening sooner.

11. mart

mart Strong Ash

If you live in the south, just ask around. Many people have it and you could dig a few small ones. If you have to buy one I would probably wait till spring. They are pretty common around here and do grow wild. The wild ones can be a slightly different color than the more common purple ones but they are still pretty. If you can find one from someone in your area, as long as you keep it watered till the roots get settled they will come up in the spring.
    Look them up to see what the flower looks like. I bet you will like it.