Do you like to have kitchen help?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Jun 22, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Do you like having someone else in the kitchen while you are prepping, cooking, or cleaning up? I really like having my kitchen all to myself so I don't have to worry about stepping on someone or smacking them with a hot pan (unintentionally, of course). My husband will help clear the dinner table, but he knows my traffic patterns.
    So, do you welcome guests, helpers, loiterers in your kitchen, or do you chase them out?

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My kitchen is small, more than two people in it at one time is a violation of the local fire code. Having help in there is not an option. But the only 'dining area' we have is part of the kitchen so they are welcome to sit and visit.....and keep my wine glass full.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our kitchen is small too but even if it was larger I wouldn't like to have someone else 'helping' me out. Like Toni friends and family can sit at the dining room table and chat with me while I cook but the actual kitchen is off limits. I find others in my kitchen too much of a nuisance - trying to work around them and them always being underfoot is not my idea of fun.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I really don't like someone under my feet or "doing" their own thing (like making iced tea) for dinner. Drives me crazy.

marlingardener likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I'm with Eileen on others being a nuisance when cooking. But I do like it when they say " you cooked we'll clean up".
    Of course I can't always find my dishes the next day.

Tooty2shoes, 2ofus and marlingardener like this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I like people in the kitchen when I cook, but I don't like them in my way, or as Marlingardener says "in my traffic pattern". When we re-did our kitchen, I designed it so there was room for people to sit at the kitchen island and chat with me (or help chop etc) and be out of the way of the sink, stove, panty and fridge.

2ofus and carolyn like this.
  8. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I agree with everyone! My kitchen is not very big and I know right where everything is. The only help I appreciate in there (most of the time) is my husband because he knows how I do things. However, there are times when he drives me nuts!!:rolleyes:

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

There's only two people that I would want o help me, my daughter or my best friend of 40 years. We know each other so well that we 'know each others 'traffic pattern.

10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Marlin-I feel the same way. I hate having to tell someone where something is when I can just go and grab it. The only people I would allow in my kitchen are the cooks from Cooks Country. Then I would get out of their way. OH what joy that would be to have someone else do the cooking so I could relax in the living room until it was time to eat. As my friends would say, FAT chance of that happening. So until then the kitchen is mine, all mine.

marlingardener likes this.