does anyone winter sow seeds?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by koszta kid, Sep 21, 2011.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I'm going to try it again. Got some Cherry red rubeckias. And want more -because they bloom all season long here.

2. Loading...

3. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

Koszta - I am truly addicted to winter sowing. This will be my third year. Had over 70 containers last year and that was a bit much! Going to try to scale back but it's hard. I know a lot of Ws'ers put their baby seedlings straight in the garden but I don't have as much luck that way. I like to pot them up for a while in tall styrofoam cups where I can easily label them with marker and then baby them for a while. Seems to work much better for me that way. I started two years ago with a very big, bare yard. Winter sowing is an easy way to fill it up with some hard work and patience!
    good luck on yours this year! :-D

4. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I got one of my customer into winter sowing. Dh and I clean her house.Got many containers ready to put in area-where (deer) can't have a mid winter dinner. It's a very cheap way to get some nice plants. And to share with others. :D

5. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

I so agree! Is there a sub forum for this yet? Have you noticed a lot of people on this site that is into it? That would be a good sub forum to have. Maybe I just missed it -- and winter is coming! I never thought I'd be excited to see winter come! :-D

6. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Have to keep yourself busy with something in winter. But pray it is a mild one. No-40 degrees without wind chill :p