Doing The Twirl

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Some beans and cues are beginning to twirl. It is the first sign that they want to break free, as Queen says. Trouble is it will be another couple of weeks at least before they twirl right on out of the house and into the greenhouse.
    The beans:
    bloempies3.jpg

The cucumber:
    bloempies5.jpg

I am so proud of my little Norwegian Brem which I germinated from a wild seed gathering whilst up in that country this past fall. I planted eight seeds, but it would appear that only one was fertile.
    bloempies4.jpg

The bride popped out and brought back these flowers yesterday. I like them. It is normal here in this culture to always have cut flowers in the house. They are grown here for export and thus are quite inexpensive. One can buy them in supermarkets, flower shops or from stands alongside the road.
    bloempies.jpg

Hope you guys have a dryer day than we did.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    Frank, 2ofus, Droopy and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Let's hope the weather improves for you to get those beans and cucumbers out in a couple of weeks. We had snow overnight and then sunshine for just long enough to melt it. Now we have hail again and rain and the temperature dropped to only 4 degrees. I really hope spring settles in soon for the two of us.
    By the way I love the vase of flowers - such wonderful colours.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I hope it does as well--we have waited long enough. At this very moment, it is 7° outside and dropping.
    Thanks for the compliment for the flowers. Selecting such bright colours when the weather is so miserable seemed the right choice.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

cute flower bouquet. No it was not nicer here today either. It rained for hours yesterday and today is miserably damp and chilly. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny... but I have other things to do than be in my greenhouse for hours... looks like I will have to be running hither and yon tomorrow if it is nice like it is supposed to be.

Advertisement
  6. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Love the bouquet of Flowers! And here is hoping for milder & warmer weather for you folks..
    Hank

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

CAROLYN--Glad that you liked the bouquet. Sounds like you've got it busy there.

Thanks HANK--It looks like it will be sunny tomorrow. That's good for me as it is time to check out the birds, do some garden work and check into all my hives.

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We had frost and a little bit of snow two days ago. Today we've got 14°C or 57°F and rising. I hope you'll be able to get those babies outside (or inside) soon.

9. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I have rather cheekily planted out a dozen dwarf french beans on my allotment, but have put a tight fitting cloche over them. I checked them today and they are still looking great. I also have two courgette plants out, but again, under a cloche. We do get away with planting earlier in our part of essex, and our allotment is incredibly sheltered, but I'm still not risking planting my tender babies out in the open for another week or two.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You are cheeky! hahaha.

I wish that our lotties were nit so exposed. I have to create some wind deflection with taller plants in the flower garden. Still..I cannot begin to think of planting beans out yet in this kind of weather. Even with a cloach...it would be risky as we are getting night frosts here regularly still.

11. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Hey Sjoerd, What's the stuff that I see on the ground around your Brem? I'm assuming it's some kind of mulch, but it sorta looks like corn flakes! ....and in case you don't know what that is, it's a breakfast cereal here. ;) Google "corn flake image" ... you'll see what I mean. :D

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hi Ronni,
    That stuff is vermiculite. I use it with germinating to hold the moisture in the soil.

13. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ha ! Does look like corn flakes. Didn`t notice that before.

14. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Your beans and cues look great but I have to ask, what is doing the 'twirl' mean?

Sjoerd likes this.
  15. mart

mart Strong Ash

I think he means the tendrils have started hunting for things to attach to and climb.

Sjoerd likes this.
  16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

2OF--Mart was right...the growing point of the beans have developed the climbing bit...you can sort of see the bits that will twirl if you look carefully in the fotos to the centre stem of the plants.